Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Junior International Events
With regards to the costs involved for juniors to attend international events I thought it might be of interest to list some of the costs I had to pay when my son and daughter attended different international events. Due to the fact that the majority of the juniors under the age of 16 travel with a parent I have included the cost for myself travelling with my children. I believe that this helps to make the cost more realistic.

1. Glorney, Davenrty, England
18=20th July, 2012
Costs for travel and B&B accommodation for 2 children and 1 adult- £386
Lunches and evening meals were extra.

2. EU Youth Championship, Mureck, Austria
8-14th August 2012
Costs for travel for 2 children and 1 adult, and full board accommodation for 1 adult only as both children received funded places - £1218.68

3. U16 Chess Olympiad, Istanbul, Turkey
29th Aug – 6th Sept, 2012
Costs for travel for 1 child who received a funded place - £589

4. World Youth Chess Championships, Maribor, Slovenia
7-19th November, 2012
Costs for travel for 2 children and 1 adult, and full board accommodation for 1 child and 1 adult as 1 child received a funded place - £2313.61

Total - £4518.29

The above costs do not take into account travel to and from the domestic airports (we live in Glasgow and 2 of the above trips flew from Edinburgh). Nor do they take into account the costs involved in buying snacks/water/soft drinks during each trip or any costs involved in taking part in activities on any rest days.

There is no doubt that being awarded a funded place reduces the costs but there can still be a hefty price to pay Sad

Messages In This Thread