Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Girls Championships - Location
I echo the above sentiments entirely. Montrose is in Angus, it's not that far (I do the Edinburgh-Brechin journey from time to time for football reasons and I agree with Adam's timing estimate) and it's easily accessible by major roads. It's also on the main Glasgow-Aberdeen and Edinburgh-Aberdeen train routes. An awful lot of people from the North-East play in Scottish events, and in general they have to do quite a bit of travelling. Obviously there's the need for balance, and it would be preposterous if every national event was held north of the Tay, but we can't hold everything in South Lanarkshire.

Could be worse, we could be in England. At least accommodation in the Montrose region is cheaper than accommodation in Greater London (um, I assume.)

(Er, I should clarify that I picked South Lanarkshire there because it's about in the middle of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Ayrshire, rather than because of any particular grudge against the place. Which is generally a fairly smart place to hold chess tournaments for just that reason.)

I'm torn, though; I find the idea that David Deary (a man educated in Ayrshire's state sector) is engaged in an attempt to socially engineer Scottish chess quite amusing and I sort of hope it's true.

Messages In This Thread