Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alan Birnie RIP
Still finding this news hard to believe and come to terms with. We had some good times, back in the day. Chess was the common factor and we would analyse, work on games and discuss the merits of d4 v e4 and caro-kann v sicilian, for many an hour. All pre-computer days, so it was books and our own ideas (good or bad).

Over the board we has some good games in the early years pitting our rival strategies and openings against each other at Dreghorn Chess Club in the local community centre. Alan was always a better player than me and the results reflected that. The wins I did score against him were prized. We only played once in recent times and it was a bit of a tame draw, which I put down to his benevolence based on our long-standing friendship.

His love of the Jambos was sorely tested in 1986, (the year he dragged me along to the Scottish Cup semi-final, which Hearts won 1-0) when Hearts managed to lose the cup final and were minutes away from winning the league, only for Celtic to take the title courtesy of the Dundee player you weren't allowed to name scoring two late goals and St Mirren wearing Celtic strips for the day and conceding 5. It didn't stop us rolling out the pub at closing time and singing "Hearts, Hearts glorious Hearts" all the way down the Station Brae, at the top of our voices.

We both enjoyed the social aspect of chess in the 80's and a few beers at lunchtime during a congress was part of the fun. Alan was always good company and we had a laugh, when we played events around the country.

I have so many memories of Alan, most of which I'd forgotten and only his untimely passing have brought back to my mind. Thanks for the memories, the laughs and the friendship mate but I'm still not playing the Caro-Kann.

I hope there's a chess board where you are now and given your preponderance for time trouble, that your flag never falls.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread