Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth Championships
The new FIDE Senior age limits (over 50) were formulated in 2012 and are due to come into effect from 2014. They are also agreed by the European Chess Union and are in the ECU regulations.

There has already been considerable confusion, debate and late changes to published rules for some of the European and World Senior Team and Individual tournaments, and there is likely to be more of this over the coming months when it comes to 'National' and other Senior Tournaments.

Of course, it can be argued that the Commonwealth Championship is not governed by the World or European administrators, but unless we fall into line with these then no doubt we will be asked why not? - not least by some of the potential competitors and their own federations.

As FIDE has already pointed out to some of us, the regulations were agreed years in advance without formal dissent from member federations and most of the confusion arises when local or national administrators do not take the trouble to read them. I suspect this might be the case here although I am hoping to be corrected on that.

It also appears that FIDE is also introducing a 'new' category for the over-65s ('Veterans'?) so that us 'oldies' still have something to play for.

It may not be too late to change things before we end up with egg on our faces.

I will probably have more to say on this matter and for once I am glad of the fact this forum is no longer visible to the whole world.

Messages In This Thread