Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lothians congress/Dalguise
Well, I will start things off. I am not a top class player or anywhere remotely near it. I spent the months before going to the Euros panicking over what I would be capable of doing. Iain Swan at the Czech Open recommended the book Endgame Strategy by Shereshevsky (it was later confirmed by a Russian GM coach at the Euros as being ideal for our purposes). I got the book, and loved the common themes approach that led to forming a plan when assessing an endgame position. It's not rocket science, I feel I am able to come across confidently and from the feedback I have received the squad in Bulgaria loved the training sessions. As we moved on through the event, from about the 4th lesson all were beginning to get a fair idea of the themes/plan approach and by about the 7th lesson some were getting really good at it. As a novice coach I had identified an area where I could work away comfortably leaving the heavy duty daily changeable stuff to Alan Tate. Since coming home I have been trying my coaching out on Paul MacDonald, Gary and David Gillespie, Phil, Daniel and Matthew Thomas and it has gone down really well. I know my limitations and I am sticking to them. We want to use this Shereshevsky book as a standard for our juniors because it doesn't matter what your grade is, as long as you can convey the assessment/ themes/ plan approach consistently it works. I am in the process of inviting parents to bring their children down to my bit in sunny Prestwick by the sea to do endgame training.

Robin.

Messages In This Thread