Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe McAdam
Joseph McAdam R.I.P.
There are many varieties of courage but I think that Joe showed the kind of quiet enduring courage , moral and physical, that does not hit headlines and does not win Olympic Gold medals . An unfortunate motor accident deprived Joe of the use of his lower limbs at a relatively young age. For all the time I had the privilege of knowing him, he got about with minimal assistance. He drove his own car with modified controls and could ease himself with some agility from the car on to his wheelchair and vice versa with a little help from his friends! I never heard him complain about his situation-ever. The fact is that his obvious disability did not deter him from an active life specifically devoted to coaching chess in local schools. In some ways, I think it probably gave him a new purpose in life when, perhaps, other more active interests had to be put aside as a result of the accident. Our immediate point of original contact was way back in 1979 when, with his support, we set up ‘Airdrie Junior Chess Club’. It met in the Arts Centre in the town every Saturday. His two sons, Joseph and John Paul were founder-members. So was my son, Paul! Though almost invariably well-attended, it became clear that it could not continue to function sustainably without greater financial backing. This led to its rebranding as under ‘Airdrie YMCA Chess Club’. The Club operated successfully, supported by Eric Stallard of the ‘YM’ and run by Joe for almost three decades thereafter . When the “YM’ was forced to close some years ago for reasons that do not bear close examination, it continued to meet in Alexandra Primary School. Junior tournaments were held on a regular annual basis. It was the nursery for quite a substantial number of very talented players,. I think Joe’s coaching style could be fairly described as being of the ‘old-fashioned’ variety! He took no ‘stash’ from any youngster. It was a very unwise individual who might choose to test his patience. In a team event, for example, he would peremptorily disqualify the whole team if just one member of it was guilty of misconduct. You did not mess with Joe, believe me! I would suggest that he was a man of two very great loves. His super family, and Junior chess, though I’m not quite sure in what order! () He coached in several schools in the town for years. For his efforts I believe he received not one penny. How many coaches would settle for that deal nowadays? My opinion of his treatment, on his enforced departure, by certain local schools is best kept to myself. The most appropriate tribute to his memory, in my opinion, would be the resurrection of the Junior Club itself in his name and the development and continuation of coaching in all local schools in North Lanarkshire. I was very pleased to note that Chess Scotland saw fit , last year, to present him with a life-time achievement award. Moves are also afoot, I understand, to honour him by naming a team trophy after him and, of course, I fully support that idea also!
My thoughts and prayers are naturally with Ann and her whole family at this sad time

Chris Hampton

Messages In This Thread