Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bulgaria - Summer of Chess
Valuable posting Graham,
very interesting reading.

As always chess organisations have to be aware of the dangers of trial by journalism or trial by reputation not involving interviews with all the individuals directly concerned. Here in this article we have some high quality journalism I quote

"we recommend to Borislav Ivanov to provide his permission for conducting extensive tests on him through various technical equipment, which will be both in his favor for the purposes of clearing his name and in favor of the Bulgarian Chess Federation, which will do everything possible in the future to resolve the problem on a national and international level in case it is proven with scientific means that Ivanov does not use any unfair means during his games".

This for me is the current status in a short, succinct, fair, and balanced nutshell.

And inevitably some low quality journalism crept in. I quote from elsewhere in the article.

"But strip searches that could discover tiny receivers would require a warrant by a judge"

I am not an expert in Bulgarian law but I would have thought that permission from Boris Ivanov would have been sufficient and I doubt that a judge would have the authority to give permission - In Boris's defense when he was requested to remove clothing for a search he complied.

Messages In This Thread