Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Selection Issue
Can I comment on this question from a different angle?

I am in charge of the party going down to Liverpool, but I was not involved in the selection of the players (on that matter, the only thing I disagree with is that four players have been moved up into a higher age group than the one appropriate to their age, but I can see why it has been done, the selectors have the right to do that, and I accept their decision).

I can't see any sign of impropriety in the selections, but I don't have perfect knowledge so I can't state categorically that there is absolutely no cause for even the slightest bit of concern.

And if somebody has concerns, even if mistaken, it is right that those concerns should be expressed openly - suppression of unwelcome views is part of the road to dictatorship, and must be opposed.

But maybe the question should have waited till after Liverpool. The danger now is that players, their parents and their friends will be looking at the squad and wondering: who doesn't belong here, who isn't here on merit, whose place has been bought? And that is no basis on which to build team morale. Every member of the squad must be welcome, and must be made to feel welcome, as friends, comrades and companions on the adventure that is the Liverpool Quadrangular.

I really hope nobody is trying to poison the atmosphere for the kids who are going to Liverpool.

Messages In This Thread