Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcohol in Chess Clubs
Andrew,

I accept your point about the social aspect of Chess Clubs. Most juniors who have progressed from School Chess Clubs are playing at their local chess club. Its my opinion that there are juniors and parents of juniors who may not take them to that club if adults are drinking alcohol at the board.
I myself wouldn't be happy about that. Especially when my children were younger. They are now old enough to understand that some adults can't manage without a drink for long periods of time and don't get social until they've had at least a couple of drinks :-)

Clubs have been disbanding all over Scotland for decades and the issue isn't drink or juniors or faith issues. It's the times we live in in my opinion and I also think that clubs and chess will die out if juniors (from all backgrounds) arn't encouraged into chess in every way possible.

I do enjoy a glass of wine to relax occassionally and a nice cold beer on a hot day can be almost heaven!
I would never assume that anyone else would wish to play chess with me while I was drinking alcohol.
Who would be dictating to whom in a free society?

Messages In This Thread