Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct support for The Scotland Junior International Squad
Andrew McHarg and the use of semantics
Quote:by Andrew McHarg » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Angus McDonald wroteTongueerhaps you can explain how this comment which was contained within a post that Alan and Robin agreed with is supportive of the Juniors going to the Euroyouth.

by Patrick McGovern » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:23 pm

For example if you are 16 and in the boys section, your grade should be say at least CS live grade 2100 level otherwise you are not going to achieve any success in the euro's or worlds

I agree with this.

This isn't how I understood this Angus. I think the word choices I have emboldened above (example and say) are indicative of it being an example suggestion of which alternatives could be considered, rather than one which should be taken out of context and therefore cause offence.

Which is, incidentally, an entirely different thing to naming an individual and suggesting they are not good enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here you have highlighted 2 words in a sentence to try and get me to read a sentence differently. Well if you highlight 2 words it will alter the meaning slightly but even then!! the point is very clear.
It says what it says (and I do understand the meaning of the word 'say') and it was what it says that I was objecting to. Please don't tell me Andrew that you havn't got that?

So I object to the suggestion that if your grade isn't 2100 at age 16 you have
Quote:you are not going to achieve any success in the euro's or worlds
It's clear what is being said.

Obviously it is an 'example' because we don't have such ridiculous grading limits. It's the example I'm objecting to. Again, how is it possible for anyone not to get what I am 'saying' here?

Also it isn't me that should have to 'say' it.

Robin moved quickly to put your mind at ease over the other point you made last night.

Messages In This Thread