Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct support for The Scotland Junior International Squad
I will be signing off from this discussion by end of today.

A few points though before I refocus on funding issues.

Junior Chess players, their individual coaches where in place, mentors and parents are the one's who should be setting their targets and goals.

Unlike swimming where the result is determined by the time you swim the result in Chess is not determined by how high your grade is.

The result is determined by a number of factors but mostly by how well you play the game.
The target for Ian is to get better at playing the game. We have a few strategies for that. When they combine with good support from the National set up excellent progress occurs. That has been Ian's experience in my opinion. Credit to Alan Tate i.e. for what happened in Turkey 2009. Ian came back a stronger player. The other juniors on that trip were also an important part in that. They know who they are. That situation combined with Ian's learning/spiritual push to aspire to go higher.
If the national set up takes over entirely and imposes grading targets/limits/barriers then I consider they may well become a hindrance to progress with some feeling they are being given too much to chew on too quickly. I suggest all juniors focussing on getting better at the game. Too much attention on grade may hinder your progress. Individual coaches who know their student can set them targets if necessary.
After that I'd wish that all get behind the juniors selected who have proven themselves through talent and hard effort to be the best players in our country at their respective agegroups. There are none selected for Euro and World Youth that don't deserve to be there.

Messages In This Thread