Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct support for The Scotland Junior International Squad
Yes, I think it is to do with this so called 'geeky' image. But not to appreciate children who can think well and show a lot of talent and nerve in a contest is prejudice in a few ways. i.e. Is Boxing really more of a sport than Chess? What kind of example should we set for youngsters?
If we just had a very small % of the money i.e spent on treating sports injuries every weekend in A & E put into Chess then we'd have adequate funding. We have a lot of talented juniors coming through and now is the time that they receive proper support because it's the lack of this funding which sees Scottish juniors not fulfilling their potential. The adult and senior teams also merit better funding and the senior team is a prime example of the 'prejudice' in my opinion. Chess players can enjoy international competition well into their retirement years where that would be possible in many sports. Chess with it's educational benefits and bona fide position as an international sport and along with it's totally inclusive nature should be an area that is beneficial to society to support.
All comments so far are helpful and as Andrew mentioned I (or someone better qualified to do so if they wish) will try to put something together which can be used as an approach for funding to government and corporate sponsorship.

Messages In This Thread