Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct support for The Scotland Junior International Squad
Thanks to Jacqui for clarification of who gives the free accomodation places.

So Scottish Juniors are supported by the home nations holding these events.

I've stated already that it is only 1 free accommodation place at each age group and if Scotland select another player at each age group then it is about £600 more expensive to that player because they have to pay accommodation and the registration fee is higher. Still, many countries believe the events are of enough substance to enter 3 or 4 at each agegroup and Russia and a few others lots more than 3 or 4. It's not uncommon to see Russia with 20 in an age category and a party of many hundreds attending.

In seeking support from Government it will be important to be positive about the events. Whatever anyone says they are World level and European level competitions and have that value to the youngsters attending in my opinion. The main reason it's not value for money in my opinion is because their talent isn't valued by their own country.
I don't think the events are outragiously expensive if you consider what is on offer. The children are after all pitching themselves against the best the other countries in the World or Europe can offer.
Scotland should be represented at these events and the children selected should not have to depend on the size of their parents bank balance as to whether or not they can accept the selection.
I wonder if the MPS and MSPS worry so much if all the meals etc they put on their expenses are value for money.
Don't really want to go there because we really need our elected representatives to get behind us and support the young talent Chess Players of Scotland.

Its is the more the merrier here and if David Deary states the facts to his elected representatives and others who believe our youngsters should be supported do likewise then there is more chance of an MP or MSP picking this up and doing something about it.
The Cause is just and I won't be embarassed to state it clearly to my MP and MSP just as soon as I have my pitch off pat and ready to clearly deliver. I expect to do this sometime in August. All the best to anyone else who will lobby their MP/MSP

Messages In This Thread