Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct support for The Scotland Junior International Squad
Andy,

There are a few logical assumptions backed up by facts to arrive at this figure.

1. We need to agree that having a World Youth, European Youth, World under 20, and World under 16 Team Olympiad events is a good idea and that Scotland should be represented at the events.

So if we agree this and we agree that Scotland should be represented what does Fide do to encourage participation.

Firstly they have to find a venue suitable for 1000 players and around 1000 arbiters, officials, chaperones, parents of younger players. There has to be 1 venue so apart from the home country other countries are going to have travel expenses. This is unavoidable. We can't expect Fide to pay the travel expenses in my opinion.

What they do do is give free accomodation including all meals for the duration of the event for the 1st choice at all agegroups. Because these events are usually held at holiday resort events where there are enough hotels of good toursit quality then the costs of this free accomodation for 10 day events is roughly £500 per player. They also give free accomodation to 1 coach/head of delegation. So at The World Youth and European Youth there is a free accomodation place available to the first choice at 24 age groups. Under 8, Under 10, Under 12, Under 14, Under 16 and Under 18 open. and same agegroups for girls.
24xs £500 = £12,000 and I havn't even covered the Under 16 team Olympiad where 4 players get free accomodation and the under 20 event where 2 players get free accomodation.

There are registration fees for all players including those getting the free accomodation place and they generally total between £ 120 to £180 but I think this is like an entry fee and covers some payments for arbiters, officials and equipment a bit like an entry fee.
Now if the UK/Scottish government matched this and put forward £12,000 to support those 48 players at the Wold Youth and European Youth, Chess would get the boost it merits and the youngsters could feel that their own country supported them as much as FIDE. A reasonable request in my opinion.

I had to edit post because the free accomodation at these events including head of delegation free place is totalling about £15,500 not the £20,000 I had mentioned. Still £15,500 to support our Junior International squad would be a step in the right direction.

rgds
Angus

Messages In This Thread