Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euroyouth Bulgaria 2011
Round 5- 3 and a half points. Would have possibly liked a bit more but was fair. Jamie had a nice solid draw after an early queen exchange. Kai played great again only to be edged out in a bishop and pawn endgame by his more experienced opponent. Murad lost in a dragon after inexplicably touching his bishop which he then had to move instead of the pawn that led to a lovely trappy line that I had shown him. He is much better than his bare results suggest. Monica is simply becoming a right wee star. She has improved a ton out here and yesterday confidently dispatched her 1683 opponent with some typically aggressive play. Andrew was always in control again in a sicilian where his opponent folded under pressure in 3 hours. Hamish had an inferior position but defended more calmly and solidly than he had in an earlier similar game, swapping off into a safely drawn endgame, a really good effort. Carl was rock solid again with the white bits, drawing and never in danger. Cristina-same again-opening fine, middle game ok, dreadful time trouble, blunders, loses in 3 hours. Anna was fine until falling for her first simple tactic of the week and losing another pawn in the last 4 moves before the time control. She couldn't hold the subsequent rook and pawn endgame. Ali was slightly worse in the middlegame, losing in an inferior endgame position. Friday is a rest day so it's a well deserved wee break for all. Alan and I are delighted by our overall play so far. Kai, Murad and Jamie could have picked up more points than they have so far and there is a lot more to come. We are particularly delighted with Monica and Anna. Anna is like Ali- steady, solid, positional, quiet demeanour but focused and determined with a lovely nature. Monica is more tactical and aggressive, equally determined but bubbly and livelier. We hope they will be part of the Scotland squad for many years to come. Hamish's play deserves more points but is comfortable at this level. Andrew is a very much appreciated and valuable member of this squad and his experience has been of great help. Carl has a nice solid game but alive to tactical chances. He has done very well in a tough section. Ali is Ali ! Tough, solid, never gives in, a wonderful squad member. Cristina' s problem is the clock. If she can overcome this I am certain she will gain points. For myself, I have learned so much in the time we have been here. I had simply no comprehension of the amount of work that was involved but am enjoying every minute of it. Let's hope my nerves stay intact till the end of the tourney !

Robin.

Messages In This Thread