5.d3 d6
6.e4 h5
7.h4 Nd4
8.Nce2 Ne6
9.Nf3 Nf6
10.0-0 a5
11.b3

[Image: 3bbw4uqg2jwgc.png]

Spoiler here>> No more guessing. The opening is basically over so let's take stock. My g2 bishop and f3 knight are both reasonably placed. My knight on e2 isn't a very good piece, but I don't see any obvious place it should aim for. It's a bit better on c3 but I don't think that's the most important thing at the moment. My bishop on c1 still needs to find a good square. The big problem is that due to the inclusion of h4-h5, Be3 can always be hit by Ng4. Perhaps it can go to g5 if the Ne6 moves, or maybe I can develop it on the long diagonal, either b3-Bb2 or Bd2-Bc3.

In terms of plans, I think neither side really wants to play on the kingside, since as I mentioned earlier pushing the f-pawn 2 squares leads to a massive weakening of the g4/g5 square. For me, there seems to be 2 options possible: playing d4, or attempting to gain space on the queenside with a3-b4 at some point. Well, I don't like 11.d4 at all- after exd4 12.Nfxd4 0-0 Black seems to have a very nice King's Indian position, while White's pieces are clumsy. Which explains the text move, going for the second plan. I have to start with b3, because on 11.a3 a4 would be annoying. Now I also have the option of putting my bishop on b2.

By the way, now Ng5 would be pointless because he can just reply Nc5, and I don't have b4 to drive the knight away.

In terms of evaluation, I'm thinking Black is completely fine here. I'm not totally sure what went wrong, I guess that's why I am a 1.e4 player :S
<<Spoiler here

Messages In This Thread