Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07/03/2012 - C.Sreeves vs A.Burnett
Just lost 10 minutes of writing to a computer crash : ( But here goes again!
Spoiler here>> I thought I should explain my choice of 6...h5 instead of more conventional moves...

I have never been a fan of learning and memorising huge reams of theory. Even my theoretical knowledge of the Sicilian Dragon variation is limited in its scope to the few lines I really like and trust.

What I do like, however, is finding and researching slightly off-beat, sharp lines (6...h5!?)within the main openings which I can use over-the-board to confuse my opponent. Practical ideas have always been more attractive to me than theory - the time and effort I would have to invest to make learning theory practical just isn't worth it for me!

Anyway, the main-lines of the Botvinnik System have always confused me a little - I'm never sure (after black plays ...f5 and white f4) how I should be handling the tension in the centre, when it's right to exchange pawns, when not and why, etc. Perhaps one day I'll find some good annotated games in these lines to explain it to me, so if anyone knows of any feel free to pass on the knowledge!
<<Spoiler here

Messages In This Thread