Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07/03/2012 - C.Sreeves vs A.Burnett
[pgn]1. c4 e5 2. g3 Nc6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Bg2 Bg7[/pgn]

Spoiler here>> Again, simply following the development plan.

There are a few move order issues if I want to reach certain exact positions - if white wants to play the Botvinnik set-up (c4/d3/e4 pawn structure) he should probably play 5.e4 immediately. If he prefaces it with 5.d3 instead, then 5...d6 6. e4 h5!? is an interesting idea which I have used successfully many, many times (including a recent club championship game so the ideas are still fresh in my mind, useful as we are playing without aids)

White should respond 7. h4 (best) and I then play 7....Nd4. Now white can't really play the obvious 8.Nge2 because after 8...Bg4 he is in an awkward position as the f3 square is very weak. He can try 9. Qa4+ but after 9...Bd7 he has nothing better than to retreat to d1, whereupon ....Bg4 would invite a draw (a theoretical victory for black) or I can try to prove the tempo gained by ...Bd7 is useful (it is!). Joe Redpath played exactly this as white aganist me years ago and he had a very difficult position before turning it around to win.

Anyway, I don't know if Clement knows any of this (or agrees with my assessments if he does!) but I would be VERY happy to see this line appear on the board.

He has many other options though, so I'll have to wait and hope Smile I any event, I expect him to be troubled by the fact this 'spoiler' is so long-winded!
<<Spoiler here

Messages In This Thread