Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EGM
So at the moment there is a Standards Committe which has in place operating procedures, which the Ayrshire Chess Association wish to amend, as per the news article?

I found the standards code, well a draft from 2009, which is prefaced bt the following.

"NOTE: The Committee invites all interested parties to comment, before the end of September 2009, on this draft code. It is expected that revisions to the Code will not normally be published more frequently that once per annum. For clarity, it may be assumed that this draft Code is operational with immediate effect."

How can you invite interested parties to comment in the first sentence then put the draft code into operation with immediate effect in the last?

As for the standards I have fallen short of at least four of the expected standards of players in the last year or two - Whilst I may consider myself a substandard player I would not consider myself a complete rouge or rascal.

I won't say which standards I've fallen short of but have listed them below for others to ponder.

"In addition to the requirements of the Laws, actions which fall short of the standard expected of players include:

Arriving at the board late without good cause,
Agreeing a result in advance of a game,
Deliberately failing to play one’s best,
Showing disrespect for the opponent,
Unreasonably failing to resign a lost game,
Failing to observe silence in the playing area,
Failing to dress appropriately,
Playing while unfit to do so (e.g., influenza, alcohol)
Failing to submit results promptly to the arbiter.
Withdrawing from a tournament without giving proper notice,
Failing to pay a tournament fee (incl. charges for dishonoured cheques),
Showing disrespect for the officials (arbiter, TD, venue staff, etc)."

I think the standards committee is overkill and beauracracy for the sake of it. As a tournament organiser if someone bounced a cheque for a tournament fee then they wouldn't play the following year unless they settled their debt and paid cash. If they dissed officials they would be barred, same for dissing an opponent.

I could go on (unsurprisingly) but it's late and I've also got prep to do.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread