Poll: Do you think posters should be identifiable by their username?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
65.52%
19 65.52%
No
34.48%
10 34.48%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Username - Discussion
Ok I have to add one last point on the matter. Ive just looked over the AGM minutes from Auguest 2008, they read as follows :

Motions brought before AGM

1. ‘That we allow anonymity on the Chess Scotland Noticeboard’

Proposer: Andy Howie
Seconded: Jim Johnston

There was some discussion on this, both for and against the motion. From the floor, one member made an allegation of a serious breach of Chess Scotland’s policy on child protection by recounting a ‘posting’ which had been made, but he would not supply the posters name. No one else at the AGM could remember seeing the posting described. The Chair and the AGM immediately took the stance that such an alleged breach, if shown to be true, would not be tolerated and could well be a matter for the civil authorities. The Board Moderator (Andy Howie) promised an immediate investigation into this, pointing out that he had the archives for all postings on the Noticeboard.

The motion failed on a show of hands, by a large majority

The motion does not say that posters must use real names when posting. As far as I am aware no-one has been posting anonymously because Andy Howie always knew the real identity of the poster. I would agree that people should not be able to post without their identity being known to the administator because then there is potential for libellous material to appear, which could lead to problems. I don't recall this ever happening in the past although I could be wrong.

That's my last word on the matter!

Messages In This Thread