Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess Scotland Constitution
For what it's worth, and having thought a bit further about this, I get the feeling that members (acting primarily through an annual AGM and/or SGMs) are the ultimate source of authority in CS, embodying ultimate powers of first and last resort.

Members (through AGM) empower President + Management Board to manage CS on a day to day strategic and financial basis. Members have also empowered a COUNCIL, with certain limited powers to draw the President + Management Board to account mid-way between AGMS that are held annually.

In other words, the hierarchy is Members/AGM/SGM: President + Management Board: and (only then, in third place) COUNCIL.

I think the constitution would benefit by tweaking to make that clear, assuming I am right. As the draft currently reads, this hierarchy is not really made clear enough. It reads as if COUNCIL has a much greater role than it either actually has or is ever likely to have.

It has always seemed clear to me that COUNCIL isn't really meant to run the show. Nor does it ever really do so. If it did, no self-respecting President or Management Board would be likely to bother to stay in office. COUNCIL is useful as a limited check or advisory sounding board but it certainly isn't the executive body.

Hope helpful!

Messages In This Thread