Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM proposals
OK following constructive input here’s where I think my proposals are (with suggested material improvements highlighted):

1) AGM Proposal on eligibility:

To be eligible to compete for any Scottish individual national championship title (excluding primary school events), or to be eligible to represent Scotland in any international competition a person must be a member of Chess Scotland and must meet at least one of the prevailing eligibility requirements relating to

(i) birth - i.e. be born in Scotland,
(ii) bloodline - parent born in Scotland (or grandparent if so determined by a vote of CS members), or
(iii) residence - i.e. have lived in Scotland for the requisite number of years [currently 2].

These principal requirements shall be built into Chess Scotland’s criteria for eligibility for national Championships and for international selection, and into future Operating Procedures that relate to eligibility and the allocation of future FIDE ‘SCO’ registration codes. The criteria used and/or future Operating Procedures shall also deal with further parameters of these eligibility requirements, and other issues that arise (such as a shorter residency requirements for juniors, any ‘fadeout’ period for players qualifying on residence that later leave Scotland, players who have relinquished their SCO code etc).

For international selection, additional criteria may be set by the tournament organisers concerned (including age and rating limits). [END]

2) AGM Proposal on the grandparent rule

The ‘bloodline’ requirement in the eligibility criteria shall be changed from ‘parent born in Scotland’ to ‘grandparent born in Scotland’. [END]

In accordance with Andy B’s suggestion this could be added to the Championship criteria in the first paragraph::

"be registered as Scottish with FIDE and..."

In case this contentious issue (which deserves a vote as several players have stated this viewpoint on this forum, and one ran a poll) divides support for my proposal (which is more concerned with the democratic process rather than my personal view), I suggest that this is put forward as an amendment (assuming these are allowed) or better still another motion similar to the one on the grandparent rule’. Deadline is 6 pm tomorrow …

Possible additional proposal:

3) An additional requirement in the eligibility criteria for the Scottish Championship shall be that to be eligible to win the Scottish Championship a player must be registered as Scottish with FIDE. (Needs a proposer. Deadline is 6 pm tomorrow …)

Cheers
Walter

Messages In This Thread