Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
21st World Senior Championship
Thanks for interest in thread above. I'm afraid my 2699 Blitz performance wasn't quite reflected in the main event ... I scored a half-point more than in last year's event but against rather lower-rated average opposition ... on the whole, I battled well and played well in parts but made a few too many unforced errors to get a higher placing this year ... I won 191 euros and gained a few ELO points.

Philip also finished well, of course!

And Rashkovsky lost abruptly ... because his mobile went off.

I don't know whether anyone recalls Derek Thomson, Scotland's top junior around 1960. He famously defeated Alexander Kuindzhi in the A-final of the 1961 world junior championship. He's the same Kuindzhi who played against me (see earlier in the thread). He defeated both Parma and Gheorghiu (1st and 2nd at the 1961 world junior) and winning against Thomson (with White) would have tied him with Parma for 1st place - he finished 3rd. Scotland's rep held on to win against K's ferocious King's Gambit.

If Derek still follows chess (he gave up playing, I think, around 1970 or so), he may be interested in this much later "Russia" v Scotland battle. If anyone is still in touch with him, give him my regards ... and he can be sure Kuindzhi still recalls his 1961 demise against him ...

Messages In This Thread