Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM
my turn I've just came in from One of Richard Cochrane's excellent lectures at Paisley Chess Club ( I heartily recommend them , well done Richard)

question 1 - how many fide rated events in Scotland ? I suspect I already know the answer

question 2 - why the need to adopt these guidelines. For those clubs running tournaments and events I can see only headaches although......

lets flip this and ask ourselves this

1. how many disabled players do we have and what types of disability? Surely we should be finding this out if we don't already We already have a disability officer does he have these facts

2. How many chess clubs already have disabled players and what facilities are utilised. If there are any difficulties what can be done to resolve them

3. Can Chess Scotland take the lead and design a disabled policy guideline which will help clubs

4. Refusal of entries due to disability not only leads to legal issues of discrimination but also more fundamentally leads to potential health and safety issues, for example fire/evacuation in the event of an emergency. To blindly accept polices without allowing for insurance and proper venue supervision can lead to legal and other practicalities.
I don't play in many tournaments but I personally haven't heard of any issues. that being said I think we have an opportunity to at least collate information.

The SNCL run by Glynnis has always catered for deaf, blind and other disabilities without any concern at all

Perhaps the disability office should inspect venues, perhaps not. All I know is if we implement policies then the responsibility of the venue could very much shift from the venue to Chess Scotland. If a policy is incorrectly implemented then its not just a slap on the wrist it quickly becomes deadly serious. Rather than resolve problems policies can cause them

Messages In This Thread