Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proxy Votes
Ken_Stewart Wrote:One issue with proxies is how they can be applied to amended motions. It is not unusual for the discussion at a meeting to reveal flaws in the original motion and that amendments are proposed for this or other reasons. There may need to be a degree of negotiation to find something acceptable. If there is not enough flexibility to deal with this, there is a danger of impractical decisions being made or of the meeting being unable to make any useful decision.

Ken does that not work both ways? IE - any change to proxies could bring about the following scenario:

You propose a motion with 30 proxies backing it up.
I suggest an amendment to your motion (subtle or otherwise) and then declare you cannot use your proxies for the amended motion as that’s not what your proxies signed up to?
Thus I amend your motion and dilute it when your 30 proxies wanted a genuine change. That doesn't seem right to me either.

Thus we have 1 person's vote counting more than 31 votes as the proxies are almost void when an amendment is proposed to the original motion. This is a dangerous road to go down... I am sure this is not what you are proposing and this is where the negotiation would need to come.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread