Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seniors Chess
Leonard Barden plugs Seniors Chess in yesterday’s issue of The Guardian. (Note:The Guardian treats Chess as a sport, so that LB’s column is to be found by clicking on Sport at the top of the front page before scanning through the sports listed at the the right hand side of the page thus opened.)

Broadly, LB reports on the recent event in Vilnius, muses about a possible renaissance as former English stars such as Nigel Short become eligible to represent England at this level, and recalls the former glories of legends such as Nona Gaprindashvili (Georgia) and Valentina Kozlovskaya, Board 3 for the Russian Women team at Vilnius. In particular, LB generously highlights Kozlovskaya’s success; aged 76 (!!) she scored 8/9 [or 88.9%], the highest individual result at Vilnius.

Of course, parallels can be drawn with organised Seniors chess in Scotland. But, my focus here is to stress the beneficial effects that chess can offer our rapidly ageing society. It is common to hear of the advantages chess has to offer youngsters. But, mental sports like chess can help combat the onset of illnesses such as Alzheimer’s Disease. For example, the social and competitive aspects of chess can be invigorating. Is there any reason why chess cannot be part of Adult or Further Education programmes offered by Local Councils? I remember taking part in just such a programme for (Duplicate) Bridge whose tutor was a Scottish International Bridge player. Could there be opportunities here for marketing or sponsorship ‘deals’?

Leonard Barden has been a stalwart for Chess for as long as I can remember and is always worth reading. Another advantage afforded by The Guardian is that - unlike many of the broadsheets - its Crosswords are free to access! (Another instrument with which to fight the good fight!)

Messages In This Thread