Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batumi (Georgia) Olympiad
Women Candidate Master (WCM)

No. FideID Name Team FED After Rd. Pts. Games
36 2400375 Giulian, Rosemary A Scotland SCO 11 4,5 9

Taken from Chess Results.
Jim, Rosie has been entitled to that for some time, but has chosen not to take that title. Think about it.
Nice to see Murad finish with such an entertaining, sacrificial game. Overall I expected better but I am sure this group have better results ahead. That being said, not so sure I can say that about Roddy ;-) he'll be hard pushed to beat this one with his 70's approaching!
(05-10-2018, 07:38 PM)Andy McCulloch Wrote: Jim, Rosie has been entitled to that for some time, but has chosen not to take that title. Think about it.

Andy, I'm not really sure what you mean "think about it"?

Along with the earlier post ,regarding Nigel Short, I simply posted information I thought some people may have missed.

I really don't understand why you felt it necessary to make either comments - guess I'll just stick to reading the forum.
Jim would you like the title beginning 'WC' ?

As far as Nigel Short is concerned, he does not accept Scotland as a separate nation.

The FIDE structure appears as:-

President
Deputy President
General Secretary
two elected vice-presidents
11 further vice-presidents

Nigel Short is one of thirteen vice-presidents. (On the ECF it states there are 16 vice-presidents)

This does not appear to me as a very important position.

I may be wrong in this assessment, but I think it very unlikely that Nigel will be able to exert significant influence over the new regime.
(05-10-2018, 01:49 PM)Alan Borwell Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 08:06 PM)Bamuir Wrote: Barbados has population of only 278,000 so a good result for them v Scotland.

Don't know who wrote report on main website but our Open opponents were Barbados not Bahamas ? Friends in Barbados are producing excellent reports on their Barbados Chess Federation Facebook site.
Good wins today by both of our teams ?

That was my bad Alan Sad Apologies!!
It is a completely different landscape in a single generation.
Between 1980-2000 Scotland got 10 new IMs. Between 2000-2018 only one.
Between 1980-1990 Scotland always performed above ratings. Since 1990 this has been a rare occurrence.
The Scottish rating system used to underrate our players internationally, now it overrates them.

However our team was the best that was available and the players gamely tried their best whilst having to spend a lot of their energies away from chess making a living and having a normal life. With the loss of the Scottish government grant, lack of chess on tv , the concept of making a living from chess and getting decent chess opposition in Scotland is very difficult.
If Nigel Short does not accept Scotland as a separate nation in terms of FIDE ,
then he cannot accept England, Wales and Channel Island teams for the same reasons.
Anyway, FIDE aren't stupid, they don't want to lose all those affiliation fees.
The Channel Islands are not part of the UK. They are Crown Dependencies. The UK is however responsible for the defence and International relations of the islands.

Personally I think Nigel Short will have a lot more on his plate now than worrying about Scotland/England/Wales added to the fact that he can't do it on his own. It would need to pass through a FIDE congress and get a majority support.
(07-10-2018, 09:40 PM)StevieHilton Wrote: If Nigel Short does not accept Scotland as a separate nation in terms of  FIDE ,
then he cannot accept England, Wales and Channel Island teams for the same reasons.
Anyway, FIDE aren't stupid, they don't want to lose all those affiliation fees.

Short doesn't accept England as being the valid rep from these islands either. He was merely pointing out the anomaly that Britain has multiple country reps rather than one country to represent the UK. He joked in his initial comments on the issue that he wanted to enter a West Hampstead Olympiad team with his then near-neighbour Jon Speelman.

As to affiliation fees that's the one aspect of the new pres programme which may be of immediate benefit to CS. "We will cut immediately, or waive, fees paid to FIDE… FIDE should help federations, not the other way around." 

https://www.chessscotland.com/documents/...shrift.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so...es_in_2018

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/arkady-...-president

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/vic...t_01.shtml