Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ayr Congress Live
That was a lovely king walk. Not seen one of those in a while
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Adam Bremner Wrote:There should be penalty points taken away from Mr Jelfs for that 16th move in r5! Booooooo

I think that one might sneak into Andy's online magazine though :p

I spent about 20 minutes at that point looking for a forced mate (Re5+ Nxe5 Qxe5+ looked promising) but couldn't see one .
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Alan Jelfs Wrote:
Adam Bremner Wrote:There should be penalty points taken away from Mr Jelfs for that 16th move in r5! Booooooo

I spent about 20 minutes at that point looking for a forced mate (Re5+ Nxe5 Qxe5+ looked promising) but couldn't see one .

Re5 Nxe5 Qd6#

Or just play a5 to cut off b4, then b6 Nxb6 Qd6 is unstoppable.

Saying all this, I can't exactly criticise with my tactics being appalling! Easier to see sat at home.
Adam Bremner Wrote:
Alan Jelfs Wrote:

Re5 Nxe5 Qd6#

Or just play a5 to cut off b4, then b6 Nxb6 Qd6 is unstoppable.

Saying all this, I can't exactly criticise with my tactics being appalling! Easier to see sat at home.

The "metal monster" does indeed say a5 is a mate in 5, with the Black Rooks ending up on d5 and e5!
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Ah but what was played was more aesthetically pleasing
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
FWIW, a couple of rd 3 games are muxed ip. As given, Alastair Dawson v Gary McPheator (ending 45 Rxf6) is actually me v Kai Pannwitz and me v Kai is Alastair v Gary.

Great to see such good use being made of the live boards and wooden sets being used as much as possible elsewhere!
I'm really embarrassed this game has been noticed on the live boards, I will be even more embarrassed if AB publishes it, however I would not object. I aplologised to Alan for not giving him more of a game, but well played Alan who completely capatilised on my mistakes.

It was rnd 5 and I was pretty tired (not an excuse, there is none). If I attempt to explain my bad play and quick break from simple e4-e5 theory and the losing a pawn on move 4... 4. a4 was played thinking my Knight was already on c3 (I was a move ahead somehow in my head and played too quickly). I intended to follow with d3 without any issue of having to forcibly exchange my white square Bishop for a Knight (if black played Na5).