Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streetfighting Chess monthly online magazine!
Andrew Newton Wrote:looks like a good magazine, hope you keep it up!

oddly I am also colour-blind, I wonder if that is a common thing for chess players lol?

There is a conflating factor here: most chess players are male.
The most common form of colour blindness occurs in about one in twelve men.
Interesting observation Robert, maybe chess players have been looking at black & white colours so much...

PS Andy, a grid reference (A-H, 1-8) on the game boards would be good, always easier to follow games if there is a grid ref.
Jonathan Livingstone Wrote:Interesting observation Robert, maybe chess players have been looking at black & white colours so much...

PS Andy, a grid reference (A-H, 1-8) on the game boards would be good, always easier to follow games if there is a grid ref.

Hi Jonathan, just had a look at the pgn4web developers page and this is what it says....

Quote:"There's no option to print coordinates around the pgn4web chessboard and no plans to add any such option. Some sites like the one mentioned above have custom adaptations to that effect but those are not provided or supported by the pgn4web project."

I'll try to find a way around this, but other than changing from pgn4web (which I really like!) to another plug-in, it probably won't be possible Sad

The board co-ordinates are on the pdf download though, and obviously on the pgn download too Smile

Keep the ideas/suggestions coming though - I'm very new to website building but will try (with Andrew McHarg's help!) to tweak things to satisfy as many people as possible Big Grin
May or not help you Andy - You can set co-ordinates on the popular and commonly used chesstempo PGN javascript viewer with a simple co-ordinates= true or false statement. I am not saying it is better than your pgn4web script, it probably isn't much different to the script you use if you were considering changing. The javascript code is as simple as coordinates=true (or false). Example of the PGN viewer I use on club website at: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dunbarchessclub.atspace.co.uk/games/misc/mcintee-livingstone.html">http://dunbarchessclub.atspace.co.uk/ga ... stone.html</a><!-- m --> (source files are all hosted on club site). I'd say the script is pretty easy to edit, with every aspect of the board seemingly customisable to suit ones tastes. I haven't found anything on it yet I can't easily change and I have a limited website building ability.

I actually rarely do the old fashioned thing and setup pieces on a board, its always on the PC with chess software, or via the pgn viewer online. I want to play through game, by clicking back and forward etc and easily following the line variations. I personaly wouldn't look at your PDF mag because of that preference, though of course PDF will suit many others preference and deffo a good option to have that.
Quote:the under-whelming interest shown so far (on this forum at least)
Although there have been a few postings since the one quoted, I'm a bit surprised too. I think Andy has produced an excellent publication that includes some interesting analysis and opinion. Being able to play through the analysis online as well as by having a printed pdf to carry around is a clear plus for me.

And in fairness, the 'trash'ing of my game was actually a fair critical anlaysis of our game. I'm just a bit narked at myself for having played so badly, but at least I now know why.

I hope you don't get disheartened Andy, I'm looking forward to the next.

Keith
Thanks Keith, and Jonathan, for the kind words and suggestions!

I'm not dis-heartened Smile I'm getting a lot of help and input from many of the Scottish players, and also from further afield.

I'd love for the magazine to become a permanent fixture - there is very little for the average club-player which actually focusses on their games/tournaments/etc. and looks at chess from a less-exalted level.

Support of any kind is welcome, whether it be buying the mag, writing an article, linking the site or simply words of encouragement.

Thanks Smile
Andy
Andy B - are Dragons playing club cup ? need to know by next week
Andy M,

I'm still waiting to hear back from some team members. It doesn't help that there is almost no information on the official site apart from dates and accommodation prices?

Official deadline appears to be 19th July, but I'll try to have an answer within a week so as to allow other clubs a shot at it if we can't go.

Cheers,
Andy
Andy B,

I sent the 10 pages of regulations pdf to Alan Minnican & Alan Tate on 10 May. I can email them to you if you require them

Application, Registration
4.1. Every federation that intends to participate, with one or more clubs, must inform the
Organizing Committee before May 30, 2014 of its acceptance of the invitation, specifying
also the exact number of the clubs participating. A copy should be sent to Tournament
Director Dirk De Ridder, e-mail: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:ECU_DirkDeRidder@skynet.be">ECU_DirkDeRidder@skynet.be</a><!-- e -->
4.2. Afterwards, entry forms must be completed and returned to the Tournament office email
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:eccc2014bilbao@gmail.com">eccc2014bilbao@gmail.com</a><!-- e --> no later than July 12, 2014, by fax or mail stamped by the
Federation, also by official email. The date of 12 July 2014 is the registration deadline. In
entry form basic team composition must be written.
4.3. The complete registration form must include surname/s, first name/s, ID number, FIDE rating
and title, and passport number of each player. It must also include the name and telephone /
e-mail / fax number of the Chief of Delegation and of the person in charge of the Club. The
Organizing Committee will contact each of the Teams to confirm the registration and booking.
4.4. Copies of the registration forms should at the same time be sent to Tournament Director Dirk
De Ridder, e-mail: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:ECU_DirkDeRidder@skynet.be">ECU_DirkDeRidder@skynet.be</a><!-- e -->
4.5. All entry forms have to be put forward by the respective federation: entries not supported by
the federation will not be accepted.
4.6. A registration fee of 110 Euros for each participant and accompanying person will be charged
which includes accreditation, badges and transfer from Bilbao airport to the official hotels &
venue and administrative costs of accommodation booking. Teams will not be paired until all
their registration details and payments have been fulfilled.
andyburnett Wrote:Andy M,

I'm still waiting to hear back from some team members. It doesn't help that there is almost no information on the official site apart from dates and accommodation prices?

Official deadline appears to be 19th July, but I'll try to have an answer within a week so as to allow other clubs a shot at it if we can't go.

Cheers,
Andy

Pre-registration is open in May. After this, pre-registered clubs will have until 19 July to formalize and complete their definitive registration. Official site very sparse just now!!!
John Watkins