Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson/Spens - what next?
I agree going to five boards would be a bad idea...

Also playing two games in a day would be a bad idea - think the strength of the cup could suffer with less of the top players playing.

Why not an 8 team league? Top two qualify for the European club cup, bottom team relegated, 2nd bottom has a playoff with 2nd top in the Spens group.
Quote:Why not an 8 team league
With the calendar already fairly congested with 'quality' events would Richardson teams be able to cope with 7 matches?

How about East and West groups of four? So 3 matches, group winners play in a final, bottom-placers play off for relegation to Spens?
Some teams already play 4 games in the Richardson, would another 3 games in the calender year be so difficult?
maybe...

OK so the main problem seem to be the 'qualifying round' before the quarters. If there is 10 teams then it may be deemed unfair that 2 of them have to play a qualifier... so why not just have 8 teams in the Richardson. The winner of the Spens is promoted into the Richardson. The four losers of the quarter finals in the Richardson, play a losers semi final and then losers final... with the team losing the final being relegated. It would probably be best to seed the quarter final draw...
I agree with David, 7 games should not be too many either to play in or fit in.

Promotion and relegation does seem to be a popular choice, but I am not sure that is the way to go. There are a few teams who choose to play in the Spens rather than the Richardson, and I can not recall the last team that got relegated from the top event. Perhaps any new format should break the historical link between the two events.

Personally, I would like to see the Richardson open to any club team or regional team that is strong enough to take part. This would involve the average strength of a team being of a certain standard. The Spens would be open to teams below this.

As someone who has never played in either competition on a regular basis, I am sure my views will differ from those who take part year in, year out. It may be a good idea to ask these players what they want from the competitions as well as formats.
I still think 7 matches (in any one-day-per-match format) might be too much for some in the current time period – November to April, but is there any reason why the final matches couldn’t be played in May or June? That would give one match per month.

Quote:If there is 10 teams then it may be deemed unfair that 2 of them have to play a qualifier
Current rules specify up to 16 teams, so a change to 8 would fix that issue. It has been a while since numbers were anywhere near 16 so it would be a logical change anyway.

Quote:60 min rule for defaults
There is one other supporter for this so far.
No more changes please ! I have done consultations on FIDE rated, k/o v league, seedings, bona fide, saturday v sunday, spens/richardson separate squads etc. Too much work to do every year

May/June not good for final since many clubs close in April
Going from 16 to 8 is not good since hastens decline of OTB chess.
More than 4 games not good since GMs have other commitments.
RICHARDSON-8 teams (of 6 or 8 players, preferably 8)
-2 groups of 4 (=3 matches per team)
-top 2 from each group into semis
-central venue for semis and final (semis on Saturday/ final on Sunday, 3rd/4th play-off also on Sunday)
-(max = 5 games per season)

-FIDE rated, 1 game per day, 40 in 2 hours + 30 allegro (or equivalent increment control)

-Live boards for finals, live commentary also (I'll do it if not playing!) [This is our 'sponsorship selling point' - sponsorship covers venue costs over 'final' weekend.]

-both finalists get Euro Club Cup spot

SPENS CUP
-as above as far as possible
Like the format Andy, but what 8 teams would get in?

And what if a new team wanted to join, how can they get in... for example, Bon Accord this season are new and may still steal our trophy from Edinburgh CCs cabinet Wink
D-Oswald Wrote:... for example, Bon Accord this season are new and may still steal our trophy from Edinburgh CCs cabinet Wink

We're not new Wink. But we will be having that trophy!