Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Blitz 2014
amuir Wrote:So many people got a chance to shine which doesn't happen at other events.
I beat Matthew Sadler. Crawford McNab beat me. Murad Abdulla gets a hard game with John Shaw. Matthew Turner wins Scottish championship. I play Walter Buchanan for the umpteenth time. Juniors get coaching by players 1000 points above them in between games. A big crowd watches the superstars etc.

Could not put it better myself. A great day out! ( Definitely though over 50s should get a 3 second increment Wink )
Yes, terrific event!
Even the weather was good this year, and I got to ride on a tram!
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
amuir Wrote:So many people got a chance to shine which doesn't happen at other events.
I beat Matthew Sadler. Crawford McNab beat me. Murad Abdulla gets a hard game with John Shaw. Matthew Turner wins Scottish championship. I play Walter Buchanan for the umpteenth time. Juniors get coaching by players 1000 points above them in between games. A big crowd watches the superstars etc.

Great fun event.

I got to play 16 games against players over 2000, checkmated an IM twice :-o (sorry Andy!), defeated and then got taken out by someone I later found out was called The Sniper!

If I stick at it then I might win some shortbread one day!
Thanks to everyone who participated and helped on the day - particularly Lara and Alex!

Final standings can be found here: http://www.scottishblitz.org/results/
Top class opposition and conditions, thank you. It was great to have a shot at players like Sadler (even if he is a jammy swindler). Also much prefer the one day format in general for Scottish tournaments, means you don't have to commit a weekend and a Friday night to play some otb chess. Anyway, thanks for bringing Scottish chess into this century Smile
Will there be video uploads of some of the top games as there were last year?
Yes videos will be uploaded in 2/3 weeks onto youtube
Hi,

Never went - working Saturday night.

Mrs. C who runs the shop next door to the event called me (woke me up) to tell
20 or 30 chess players had popped in to say hello or just to stare at her.

(My guess it was to see if my tale about one of her eyes taking the other eye en passant was true.)

She said she got asked at least ½ a dozen times "Are you really Geoff Chandler's wife?"

She is now scanning the chess forums to see what I've been saying about her.

Howard I think I say something about her having a face that can uncastle a king - can you please delete it.

When God was making her face he forgot to say J'doube. (delete that as well.)
Great format with lots of entertaining chess throughout the day; Well done to Jonathan and David for putting on such a great show.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...TNEJKpmI9F

Last years 2013 I watched Keti Naiditsish - remember seeing end of it and the big cheer afterward for Keti.

Also came across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZK_KqKBtY where the video format is a little slicker that the Scottish but given our budget I think guys do really well. Really Nice game as well kings gambit.