Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council meeting
seanmilton Wrote:
Phil Thomas Wrote:
David Deary Wrote:Phil, Derek,
For the record
(b) In my time as IJD hefty chunks of the budget were spent subsidising costs to the families of attending overseas events.
© Indications are that this practice ceased when I stepped down in 2011.

Phil, Really? :-o

Re: Correct support for The Scotland Junior International Sq
Postby robin moore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 pm

No money from the budget has been spent in sending juniors to events. The International junior budget is used to pay for coaches and heads of delegation to attend, mainly, overseas events. The Glorney/ Faber events are a wee bit different but parents pay for accommodation for their child plus a contribution to the return transfer costs normally. There is a huge amount of organisational work that goes on behind the scenes at all of these events and I can assure everyone that the coaches, heads of delegation and chaperones are out of pocket every time,

Robin.
robin moore
Anatoly Karpov

Let's get the facts in black and white here. Post Phil Thomas as IJD, no fees were paid to Heads of Delegation, coaches or chaperones except those that had previously been agreed and were honoured. Any amounts that were paid to the above were for flights, transfers and accommodation to support the International junior squad.

Phil used his budget to give financial support to parents to attend events but didn't do it equally. The new regime felt it was wrong to give some parents 300 Euros to attend events and give others nothing.

Accordingly, the International Junior budget was spent on support that was felt all would receive equal benefit from by receiving quality coaching and organisational assistance.

I believe SJCAET have given backing to some families in the recent past which CS are most grateful to.
Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014
Postby robin moore » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Jacqui,

Thanks for highlighting junior international budget issues.

Many thanks for highlighting particularly that Heads of Delegation, coaching support and chaperones do not constitute support for Scottish International Juniors.

I have no idea about what the IJD from 2008-2011 (Phil Thomas) spent the budget on.

Of course it would be guessing to say which "means test" each individual parents went through on the International Junior budget (2008-2011) for Phil to decide which parents received CS financial support. Perhaps some parents received much more than others (page seven of this thread) ?

I would guess that mistakes may have been made previously like "forgetting" to register Scottish teams for events in time and cost ChessScotland 100 Euros penalty clauses per person for team events.

Hopefully those days are in the past.
I don't know what Phil spent his budget on apart from....

Quote:Phil Thomas..

b) In my time as IJD hefty chunks of the budget were spent subsidising costs to the families of attending overseas events.
robin moore Wrote:I don't know what Phil spent his budget on apart from....

b) In my time as IJD hefty chunks of the budget were spent subsidising costs to the families of attending overseas events.

Re: Council meeting

by robin moore » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:18 am

Let's get the facts in black and white here. Post Phil Thomas as IJD, no fees were paid to Heads of Delegation, coaches or chaperones except those that had previously been agreed and were honoured. Any amounts that were paid to the above were for flights, transfers and accommodation to support the International junior squad.

Phil used his budget to give financial support to parents to attend events but didn't do it equally. The new regime felt it was wrong to give some parents 300 Euros to attend events and give others nothing.Accordingly, the International Junior budget was spent on support that was felt all would receive equal benefit from by receiving quality coaching and organisational assistance.

I believe SJCAET have given backing to some families in the recent past which CS are most grateful to.

*8*8**8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8

Robin,
are you withdrawing your allegations from March 19th ?

Copied above in case you can't remember what you wrote
Phil,

I am really not sure what you are trying to achieve here but perhaps I need to clarify.

You were the elected CS IJD and were free to use your budget in any way you chose. When the new regime took over they were surprised to find that it was standard practice to give parents different financial amounts to attend the same overseas event. The quote of 300 Euros to one parent and nothing to another is correct. Parents were quite open about this and why shouldn't they be? This was the norm confirmed by you....

As I have said previously the new regime felt this was wrong, the practice was stopped and the International Junior Budget was then spent in a way that was felt all juniors benefitted from equally.
Quote from Phil Thomas..

Phil could you explain how much a "hefty chunk of the budget" actually equates to in monetary terms and more importantly how whilst IJD you differentiated between those who received your kindly benevolence and those who received nothing? The lack of transparency and fairness on how budgets have been spent concerns me.
Oh my goodness u lot must be getting desperate as you are now fabricating facts. Do u think if it's said enough times it becomes true? Manufacturing of facts from a position of profound ignorance can never create the truth.

I saw the accounts at the time & do not recall 300€ paid to a parent, you are wrong. If you are referring when I travelled with the team to Greece where I was a chaperone, you have it wrong as I paid in full my own way & it was a lot more than 300€ for both travel & accommodation, as I did to the Glorney, Ireland.

Hefty chunks were paid for the likes of transport to the Glorney which everyone benefitted from. So stop making out otherwise with your personal vendetta. The Finance Director at the time kept a tight ship & knew exactly what was paid for & those accounts were approved at the 3 AGM's.

Can we now get this thread back on track as it was a discussion regarding items being discussed or proposed to council which may affect the future of junior chess in schools
Jacqui, I'm sure it wasn't your intention but your post implies the current FD doesn't run a tight ship. This is simply untrue and I feel it's unfair of you to imply this about David Congalton.

For the avoidance of doubt, the current FD runs a tight ship, knows exactly what was paid for and has the accounts audited by a professional firm (this wasn't the case previously). The accounts were approved unanimously at Sunday's Council meeting.

As you said, lets get back on topic but I would advise a retraction or rewrite of that particular part of your post.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Jacqui,

Many folks have contributed anonymously to juniors involved in Scottish International chess. Like you, they have a desire to try and support juniors at all events both home and abroad. As you know, there are plenty of them and their support is very much welcomed.

I have no idea regarding funding as to the events you mentioned and appreciate your input.

Quote:Phil said,

I am fairly sure that this comment did not refer particularly to the Glorney event in Ireland (although admittedly, it could be classed as being overseas).

I can't for the life of me assume he was referring to this particular event over three years of his tenure. Perhaps all parents were telling the new regime porkies?