Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth entries
Hi Folks,

I will be out on school business until Fri 28th. If you have entries etc sent to me either letter or online I will collate them when I get back and send to Alex etal for posting on noticeboard. All entries up to then are £60

At the moment there is only one tourney I am entering you all for. I do not know if they will be graded nearer the time. We will have to wait for Alex to let us know!!

GG
I notice that when asked for 'Country' on the online entry form, the only option for residents of these shores is 'United Kingdom'. Call me a curmudgeonly old Yes voter, but, AFAIK, as far as FIDE is concerned, there is no such country. Surely for a FIDE event we should be able to provide the country corresponding to our FIDE affiliation?
IMarks Wrote:I notice that when asked for 'Country' on the online entry form, the only option for residents of these shores is 'United Kingdom'. Call me a curmudgeonly old Yes voter, but, AFAIK, as far as FIDE is concerned, there is no such country. Surely for a FIDE event we should be able to provide the country corresponding to our FIDE affiliation?

+1 Scotland is part of the Commonwealth

I get quite annoyed with forms requesting my nationality - I've been known to select other and then enter scottish.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
It's all the more galling given the non-countries which appear, e.g. Wallis and Futuna, Antarctica, Guernsey, Jersey, (both affiliated to FIDE!) the Isle of Man, Heard Island and McDonald Islands and United States Minor Outlying Islands (!). On this basis, the creators of the form (I assume some IT company) can hardly argue that 'Scotland isn't a country'. And FWIW, there will be no 'United KIngdom' team at the ensuing Commonwealth Games!

Anyway, could my entry please show SCO? Just so my FIDE affiliation is correct.
"Heard Island and McDonald Islands". Ahem, never heard of them..

Had to look it up. An uninhabited group of volcanic Antarctic islands.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heard_Island_and_McDonald_Islands">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heard_Isla ... ld_Islands</a><!-- m -->
I created it that way because Paypal only accepts certain country codes, and as far as I know they don't have one for Scotland. And given that a payment via Paypal may bounce if a country code isn't inserted, it wouldn't be wise to mess around with it - as much as I'd like to see Scotland on that list too. =)

Hope it clarifies.
Considered GoCardless as their transaction charge is lower than Paypal?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://gocardless.com/">https://gocardless.com/</a><!-- m -->
When I was treasurer of the club I used it as an option for electronic payments of fees.
It's more geared towards regular payments than one off transactions though.
Yea, it's what I use with Chess Hosts (chesshosts.com) to take payments. It's too late in the day to implement it for the Commonwealth, but it's something I'm considering for CS Membership in future. Would need to have a chat with the Membership Sec to get all the details sorted out, but there's potentially quite a significant saving to be made.
Quote:I created it that way because Paypal only accepts certain country codes, and as far as I know they don't have one for Scotland. And given that a payment via Paypal may bounce if a country code isn't inserted, it wouldn't be wise to mess around with it - as much as I'd like to see Scotland on that list too. =)

Hope it clarifies.
Hi Andrew,

It does, thanks. Nothing personal! I suspected there was something like that behind it. It's intriguing why so many non-countries have 'country' codes when real countries aren't quoted, subsumed under the UK or not.
Is it possible to see the entry list for this please?