Poll: How should the Sensory Boards be funded
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
By Donation (individuals and congresses)
44.12%
15 44.12%
Increasing congress entry fees by £1 (going towards the costs)
23.53%
8 23.53%
Congresses using the boards paying a hire charge of £50
8.82%
3 8.82%
Congresses using the boards paying a hire charge of £75
2.94%
1 2.94%
Congresses using the boards paying an extra 5p per graded result
8.82%
3 8.82%
I do not think Chess Scotland should use such boards
11.76%
4 11.76%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensory Boards
Chess Scotland are getting 8 sensory boards in the near future. A number of donations towards these have already been secured.

To pay the balance of these 8 boards and to increase the number and eventually replace the boards will require continuous fund-raising.

These will be wifi boards not requiring the 'wiring' in of the current ones. As such they would be available for any game in a congress simply by placing them where needed (sort of drag and drop).

Any other ideas will be considered.

You may vote for more than one option.
I'm wondering how we are going to use these boards are they solely for the top section, the top boards in each section or placed at random? Or is this up to the tournament organiser?

I ask because I would quite like a go on one of them. =)

I voted for donations and I think we need to get a little bit creative here guys and girls:

How about one of our titled players volunteers an afternoon for a simultaneous and attendees pay £10 with all proceeds going to the sensory boards. We could even try for some sponsorship of how many moves we could last against said titled player.

Can we channel the 100 club funds to the sensory boards lets get more people signed up if they knew proceeds were going to the boards I think uptake would increase and they could even win a sweetener themselves. I think we could maybe get some more people in the club/lottery if the proceeds were going to the sensory boards.

Fundraising boxes at all of the congresses for donations of any amount towards sensory boards.

A levy on prize money. Dare I say it? 5% of all winnings? I'm not sure what that would come out at but maybe thats a bit harsh on the prize winners. Can you tell I'm not expecting to be in the prize money this season? =)

^Lets get some of these quick wins into action before slapping on additional grading fees, entry fees or hire charges. I'm not saying my ideas are good but they might get the juices flowing. Any other suggestions?
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
As the person most likely to be running them at a tournament. it is really down to the tournament organiser.

With 8 boards, a 3 section could be top 4 in Open + top 2 + Top 2 etc.

I am keen that the minor, major and challengers also get to use the boards. This years Scottish taught us that
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I thought the use of the boards for the lower sections was a very novel idea. Also worth noting that if everyone gets to use the boards then everyone will see good reason to invest some form of donation in them, and there is far more money in the lower sections than there is in an Open. Big Grin
Somewhere on the old notice board Mike Scott made a good suggestion.
Auction places on the live boards to the players.

I suggest inviting sealed bids before each round from the individual players.
(not necessarily bidding for their own game - where is that Devil Icon? on this board).

If the average sealed bid accepted were to be £2.50
Then a 5 round 8 board event would raise £100

Setting £50 per congresses puts value of a single broadcast game at £1.25
Making it too cheap guys. This is expensive kit worthy of respect.
Average bid above £2.50 and we start to move into serious money.

And after all £2.50 is not much for transferring your game to the well lit, comfortably heated and quiet hushed location used for the sensory boards.
Phil Thomas Wrote:Setting £50 per congresses puts value of a single broadcast game at £1.25
Making it too cheap guys. This is expensive kit worthy of respect.
Average bid above £2.50 and we start to move into serious money.

Phil, we don't want to price it out of the range of congresses. We got the kit to use but we do need to raise the money to pay for it and also put money into a fund to pay for repairs and potentially buy more boards.

One aspect that congresses will now have is they can sell sponsorship for the live game screen.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I know there is a case for keeping the viewing of live games free to get maximum number of hits so as to attract a sponsor however as the viewers are arguably the main beneficiaries of live games, it does seem unfair if they make no contribution. I would suggest that a basic service remains free but a pay-per-view premium service is also provided that might include:-
commentary
messaging to discuss games with other users
vote for best game / move - could be linked to prize for players
post game analysis

Perhaps a board can be used for post match analysis either in the way of master game commentary from the players or perhaps as a lesson by a higher rated player going through a selected game.

The idea of having a best live game (or move?) voted for by viewers could be used to spice up the bids for being on a live board - the higher your bid the higher your potential prize if your game gets the most hits/votes from the viewers.
Interesting ideas Mike but I think some would be quite difficult in practise. I'm not sure that players would really bid for their games to be broadcast live, but it's worth a shot as costs nothing. I think it's more the kind of thing where a player thinks; "great if I am, but not too concerned if not".

Premium services with viewing the games could be good. Not sure at what level though, I doubt commentary would be a big hit; and would cost as I think we'd have to pay the commentator?
I dunno about the bidding for games either... I might be more inclined to go for an extra £1 on entry fees and I don't much like that idea either. =o

My only concern with bidding on games is that certain people might never get on the boards. If we are all contributing, at one stage or another across the season I would like to have a go on one.

I'm also not sure how much use master game commentary would be. Sometimes it can be a little bit high level for little old me. Also I doubt we'd get a master willing to do it for free. Furthermore, if we are going to have live games on boards other than the Open you wouldn't need a master commentating in my view.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
David Deary Wrote:I'm also not sure how much use master game commentary would be. Sometimes it can be a little bit high level for little old me.

We could get Kai or one of the other juniors to do a version for you. Big Grin Seriously though, you make a valid point. I think a lot of the players with lower grades would lose interest because they weren't understanding what was going on.