Poll: How should the Sensory Boards be funded
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
By Donation (individuals and congresses)
44.12%
15 44.12%
Increasing congress entry fees by £1 (going towards the costs)
23.53%
8 23.53%
Congresses using the boards paying a hire charge of £50
8.82%
3 8.82%
Congresses using the boards paying a hire charge of £75
2.94%
1 2.94%
Congresses using the boards paying an extra 5p per graded result
8.82%
3 8.82%
I do not think Chess Scotland should use such boards
11.76%
4 11.76%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensory Boards
Mike Scott Wrote:Your frequent reference to the stronger chess players as the elite as if it is some form of class warfare is amusing at time but is getting a tad tiresome. My experience is that chess is a wonderful example of community, where those that have benefited in the past from the dedication of others repay that debt in turn by helping the next generation of players, run events or making anonymous donations.

I think this bit was added after I replied to the prior part.

I agree that chess is a community and in fact I believe I suggested that JR offer his experience in helping me improve. It may have seemed facetious but I was being serious any advice is appreciated. You may not like me to draw the distinction between views but I believe there is an existing issue of oversubsidy of the best players at present by the lower graded players.

I also stated that I hated using elite and lowly but it was useful for making the point. I also said in future posts I would try to avoid it unless there was something I felt was ridiculous which I will do.

Anyways, all this chess debate has distracted my attention from the first round of the Irvine Open tomorrow which I better go and do some practice for. =)

Before I go: JR apologies if my prior post is somewhat heated and it was not intended to be personal. I look forward to your reply.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Surely, only games that have a bearing on the outcome of the individual sections should be used on a "live" board basis, the quality or standard of the games in initial rounds is completely irrelevant. If I, as a no bad plodder wished to access congress action at the business end, I wouldn't be all that bothered which section the contestants were in as long as it was exciting and relevant to the places and prize money in their respective groups. In the early rounds more emphasis strictly should probably be placed on the higher sections from a quality point of view, but once the smoke clears, in the later rounds, any section that has the possibility of an exciting finish is the one to watch.
I see Robin sneaked in with a useful insight to what the non paying public want to see.

The question here is a planning issue - how best to raise money via use of sensory boards.This may not be the same as broadcasting the highest quality moves available.

Could it be the case that future entries would rise if on line spectators saw typical games from the lowest section. If so then there is a valid case for concentrating on low boards in the lowest section. Especially so in the early rounds.
Phil, you mean as in they consider us Minor players as cannon fodder and as a result are enticed to enter?

I am sure anybody who looked at my game from the Scottish would have considered me a bunny, so there may be some scope here Tongue

I agree with Robin. The tail end of the tournament usually brings games with a bit more spice and pressure, and consequently more interest as players battle it out for their respective sections. These games are usually just as tense, no matter what section they are played in, regardless of the overall quality of the play. That tension can lead to some quality play, just as it can lead to blunders, and all the sections should be covered. It also might give you some insight into your potential opponent's repertoire, given that there are very few games recorded outwith the Open section in databases.

What is CS's ultimate strategy and goals for the boards? Knowing that will help.
David Deary Wrote:
Mike Scott Wrote:Your frequent reference to the stronger chess players as the elite as if it is some form of class warfare is amusing at time but is getting a tad tiresome. My experience is that chess is a wonderful example of community, where those that have benefited in the past from the dedication of others repay that debt in turn by helping the next generation of players, run events or making anonymous donations.

I think this bit was added after I replied to the prior part.

I agree that chess is a community and in fact I believe I suggested that JR offer his experience in helping me improve. It may have seemed facetious but I was being serious any advice is appreciated. You may not like me to draw the distinction between views but I believe there is an existing issue of oversubsidy of the best players at present by the lower graded players.

I also stated that I hated using elite and lowly but it was useful for making the point. I also said in future posts I would try to avoid it unless there was something I felt was ridiculous which I will do.

Anyways, all this chess debate has distracted my attention from the first round of the Irvine Open tomorrow which I better go and do some practice for. =)

Before I go: JR apologies if my prior post is somewhat heated and it was not intended to be personal. I look forward to your reply.

You don't have to apologise for anything ;P I enjoy when debates get a bit more heated, that's the way it used to be years ago when I was much more active on the forums. The term lowely rated was not meant to cause offence, so sorry if you took it the wrong way.

I don't think I have an elitist attitude towards everything, for instance I have always said I do not think titled players should be paid appearance fees and that our top players should not expect it all on a plate.

I think what annoyes me a bit is that many people do not seem to understand how much effort it takes to become a 2200+ player and maintain that standard of play. It takes a lot of time and investment to get to that level and if you want to get even better (IM level) it takes even more. Players who regulary win the major's/minors can make a lot more money than 2000+ players who have to tough it out in the open against the best in the country, which is why I always said I think prize money in the open events must be higher. There needs to be some incentive to become a better player, otherwise what's the point?

On the issue of the sensorary boards I was probably being a bit provocative. If people want to watch the top boards in other events besides the open then fair enough. It is a unique concept, but maybe it might work...

On the issue of raising money to pay for them, why not raise the yearly membership fee by £1 for the next two years. Also Charge non-CS members an extra £1 per event to enter. That way non-members are also paying something towards it.
What a debate! This is an eye opener on so many levels for me as a new Marketing Director, really shows a few areas up.

From a narrow minded point of view based on my role, I don't believe that putting ALL the sensory boards in the Open Events are going to be beneficial to gaining commercial support. My clear aim is by this time next year to have "location tailored" sponsorship on the live feeds for every event in the calendar that wishes to use the sensory board. So I need the largest amount of players tuning into the live feed to make this profitable. (more hits means higher price of advertising!)

Now this is my logic.

Someone mentioned earlier that tennis/football wont show a few Premiership games then go to Sunday League. Well....if we're going to do comparisons, what about boxing which has a Main Event, co-main events, a televised undercard and a non televised undercard. Not to mention the occasional amateur/junior fights that precede that.....

Chess is a complex sport. It's not like tennis where we could relate to a Roger Federer. We COULD imagine hitting those shots and moving that way...even though we can never ever achieve it. It's watchable, its fun.

The problem is that in chess, not everyone understands everything. We all know the same moves but like an art, some players play with such a deep precision and depth whereas some of us are just like boxing sluggers who just go wild for the knockout blow and leave our chins open. Some of those sluggers will never have the time, patience and/or ability to ever get to the precision levels. And the key point....because they will never get to those levels, they won't enjoy a precision game as much as they would a game of their level, or even a level above.

So is it fair to someone of a "Minor" level shall we say to have nothing but "Open" games to digest? In a three-tier tournament for example; show 4 Open games, 2 Major and 2 Minor games and that Minor player has 2 games of his/her level and 2 games a level above. So they are being introduced to what it takes to play well at the next level so you HAVE incentive to get better. (Which was J*R's worry from earlier) I think people at the Open level sometimes forget that while their is a lot of work to get to an Open level, there has to be "stepping stones" clear to someone to make them WANT to learn.

And from my narrow minded Marketing eyes, that's where I have to put my strategy focus.

We don't have a lot of Open players. It's the same old players playing in tournaments. We have tournaments where in some cases the Open section has 20 players, the Minor has 50+ and yet the big prizes are going to the Open. The Minor is varied enough in different players that play in different tournaments but every level up, the variety of players in each tournament diminishes significantly till we get to the Open where it's fundamentally the same faces. Yet the Minor player is paying the same entry fee in most occasions so in effect, they are funding the bigger tournament's extra prize money. For that reason, don't you think they have to be looked after too?

I have to find ways of getting the most people into these live games. When the majority of active players are at a Minor/Major level I have to cater for them as well as showing the elite games as well. There has to be a carrot for someone to work harder and get better. Give them a stepping stone and they can achieve it.

I believe that the best way of doing this is to show a variety of games.

As for the cost, I agree that it should be along the lines of £100 a tournament.....eventually! But for that, there has to be a specific commercial benefit shown to the tournament director. And sponsorship cannot be achieved at a consistent level overnight.

A £50 minimum donation initially should be significant.

Questions/comments fire away
Any chance of having some form of spread betting on the next move to be played? That would probably work best using games from the minor/major when there is more of a random move selection... Big Grin

Or some other combination of chess and gambling when the players back themselves with bets.... that would spice up old battles.
Mike Scott Wrote:Any chance of having some form of spread betting on the next move to be played? That would probably work best using games from the minor/major when there is more of a random move selection... Big Grin

Or some other combination of chess and gambling when the players back themselves with bets.... that would spice up old battles.

I'm not sure if you were being serious with this. I have thought about it too but I concluded that it would be impossible to prevent bet-fixing.
Spread betting sounds a fantastic idea, seriously.

And would 'fixing' be such a problem? The only time chess gets in the news is via controversy.......
SRB Wrote:Spread betting sounds a fantastic idea, seriously.

And would 'fixing' be such a problem? The only time chess gets in the news is via controversy.......

Think we might seriously regret trying it. =| It could turn our game into a fiasco of corruption. At the end of the day we are Chess Scotland, not William Hill - our sole purpose is to play and promote Chess, not make a profit from betting on it.