Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derren Brown at Chess
Did anyone see Derren Brown last night on The Music channel on freeview (not sure why he is on that channel, but he is). Fantastic stuff as always.

He played a simul against 9 masters. He won 4, lost 3, and drew 2. So he won with a 5½ - 4 score. Two of his wins were against GM's. He used a really complicated system to partly achieve this. He was dividing the boards into pairs, and using his opponents moves on one board, to mirror the moves on another board, so his opponents were sort of playing themselves. And he just played his own chess on the odd board left where he beat a FM. He must know his Chess?

I am still confused as to how he won the games with the system he deployed and explained afterwards. How was he able to mirror the moves with such confidence that the same patterns of exact play would occur to a far enough point in the games?
"sort of playing themselves"
They were playing themselves Smile - thats why they were different colours , each player with white was paired with a player playing black and whenever white made a move then mr brown would play it on the other guys board and then play black's response to white next turn. Haven't seen the video in a long time (its on youtube somewhere) but thats what I remember anyway.

Don't really understand how he beat the FM - fritz I suspect.

Did he do something with numbers as well - some sort of sealed envelope I knew how many moves each game would be kind of thing (have a vague memory of that, it was 5 or 6 years ago...)?
Deviating just a little off topic.

If you want to know how Boris Ivanov might be able to cheat with a chess engine then Derren Brown would be the man to ask. Not sure that Derren would answer though. I guess Derren had normal footwear on though.
Wireless device operating at either 5Ghz or 60Ghz

The latter explains one of the strange moves he made in a game.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy,
a Quick Google search suggests Derren did this trick in August 2008.

Was that technology available then ?
5 GHz was 60 GHz wasn't. Would be highly unlikely Derren would use a method like this.

In case anyone in Scotland has ideas about trying it, as part of my Engineer kit, I have a spectrum analyzer so I will catch you :p
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
hamish olson Wrote:Did he do something with numbers as well - some sort of sealed envelope I knew how many moves each game would be kind of thing (have a vague memory of that, it was 5 or 6 years ago...)?

Yeah Hamish, he did his usual give one of the players a sealed envelope before he started. When opened after all the games had finished he had predicted how many pieces each opponent had left at the end of the game. He was 1 piece out on 1 game, and got the other 8 games correct.
Andy Howie Wrote:In case anyone in Scotland has ideas about trying it, as part of my Engineer kit, I have a spectrum analyzer so I will catch you :p

You won't catch me, I have a multi-spectrum phase inverter fitted to one of my mid slots. ;P
Andrew McHarg Wrote:
Andy Howie Wrote:In case anyone in Scotland has ideas about trying it, as part of my Engineer kit, I have a spectrum analyzer so I will catch you :p

You won't catch me, I have a multi-spectrum phase inverter fitted to one of my mid slots. ;P

With or without Dilithium crystals?
Andy Howie Wrote:5 GHz was 60 GHz wasn't. Would be highly unlikely Derren would use a method like this.

In case anyone in Scotland has ideas about trying it, as part of my Engineer kit, I have a spectrum analyzer so I will catch you :p

I use carbon based humaniform intelligence.
But maybe I'm capable of being analysed.

Surprised they produced that software for Sir Clive Sinclairs ZX Spectrum home computer