Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derren Brown at Chess
The copying gag couldn't be used seriously to get one point out of two games if clocks were being used, as the copiers could be made to run out of time

eg say, 3 secs delay per move = 2 minutes difference on the clocks near the end of the 40 moves so the copiers would at some point have to move first or lose on time. Once they broke with the copying they'd have less time left than the copyees.
Tactic would not work with electronic clocks because.

Consider it a 2 board match with say a GM team being copied

Until a white player moves both teams have a clock running
The GM moves a piece and presses the clock.

Until that move has been copied the copying team have got both clocks running.

Provided that it takes at least one second to copy that move the GM have gone up on time.

So the GM team wait until their clocks are down to say 80 seconds and the opposition are down to say 70 seconds and then they blitz away - with no need to wait until time control.

And just think about the nervous tension on the copyers to respond near instantly to each and every GM move. After a couple of hours they wouldn't even be fit to play one another.

Just think of the confusion that could be generated with j'adoube / touch move / touch take rules.
I think I saw this in action many years ago at the Castlemilk congress.
WBuchanan Wrote:The copying gag couldn't be used seriously to get one point out of two games if clocks were being used, as the copiers could be made to run out of time

eg say, 3 secs delay per move = 2 minutes difference on the clocks near the end of the 40 moves so the copiers would at some point have to move first or lose on time. Once they broke with the copying they'd have less time left than the copyees.

But with, say, 30 second increments they would always have enough time to make their moves.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
How to combat the copying scheme with 30 second increments.

Imagine that I realise early on that my moves are being copied by a weaker player.

Suppose If I am 5 seconds up and I have a choice of 2 equally valid moves.

I will wait until the copier moves, then make the alternative move on my board.

I might be down to 30 seconds per move with no time in hand by the time he blinks first but if so my team mate will have a huge time advantage to compensate for my time trouble.