Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dundee says technology sucks
Well maybe Dundee doesn't but I do.

Despite much planning and testing. The gremlins struck tonight. We can't stream video because, I'm told, bandwidth restrictions caused the video streaming to crash. Or something like that. It worked, then it didn't, then it worked, then it didn't so to prevent disruption to the live games we pulled the plug.

The live games started well. We could see the board set up and names, play started and nothing happened. Believe what you see and you'd think all four players are still thinking about their first moves.

So, no live games, no video, no commentary/coaching, no video of commentary/coaching. Very disappointing. We'll try again with the games tomorrow morning but as our Tech Whizz is playing, our support resources are pretty limited.

Other that that it's going well.
Keith,

Any chance of getting first round results posted on here tonight please? (especially the junior ones !)

Robin.
I reckon I could. I'll put up the draws for round 2 as well, via the D&A website, but I'll link from here. It'll be late though.

You're not really worried about the juniors are you? Poor little doe-eyed mites!
Keith,

What are you using for video upload. If it is livestream, drop the quality until it fits into the bandwidth

Not sure what happened with the live boards, from the description it sounds like enable move recording was off (I did this on sat with the boards I was testing on)

Andy
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Keith,

Thank you,

Looking forward to the first round results and second round draw. Any idea when they will be available?

Robin.
Hi Robin

I did say it would be late Sad

Round 1 results, round 2 draw http://www.dundee-congress.co.uk/Round%201%20res.htm

Goodnight all
Quote:What are you using for video upload. If it is livestream, drop the quality until it fits into the bandwidth

Not sure what happened with the live boards, from the description it sounds like enable move recording was off (I did this on sat with the boards I was testing on)

Thanks Andy. This is all way above my head. Paul said he had reduced the quality as far as he could but still could not get a stable video image. Odd, as last year we had no problem.

Re the boards, I'll suggest this to Paul in the morning and hope the solution is as simple as that. It worked perfectly well when we tested in the venue a few weeks ago.

I'll post an upate when play starts tomorrow. No, wait, today. Goodnight to you too.
robin moore Wrote:Keith,

Any chance of getting first round results posted on here tonight please? (especially the junior ones !)

Robin.

Good start for most of the little people. Look out! some appear to be firing on all cylinders - I predict there are gonna be tears this weekend (from the over 30's that is) Tongue
Sorry, it's another no go and it must be something to do with the venue's capacity and whether others in the venue are using the internet. Before play started we tried the boards and they worked. Play started and they didn't.
Hi Keith,

The boards take next to no bandwith at all. The largest file is about 20k in size. What exactly is happening and I'll try to advise

Andy
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"