Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for getting funding/sponsors for a club.
Getting sponsors is very difficult. I imagine that the original questioner was looking for relatively modest sponsorship. I would suggest there are really three possible sources

1. Chess charities eg SCJAET
2. Businesses connected to parents of the children involved
3. Businesses who want a 'local' footprint. McDonalds always used to good for this. The local manager was allowed to give out £50 or £100 without referring up the chain. Additionally you could get free vouchers which might serve as prizes.

I know we have got sidetracked talking about Hamilton, but £5370 is a lot of money for a chess club and I think it would be useful for future reference to know what was required to secure such funding and a broad outline of what happened with the money. I looked up the Hamilton Chess Club online and the section on Junior Chess seemed pretty scant.
Hamilton has more juniors than most clubs have adults! Just wish Mike would stop pinching our promising juniors ;-)
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:Hamilton has more juniors than most clubs have adults! Just wish Mike would stop pinching our promising juniors ;-)

And Some of them are excellent players, I have had the misfortune of playing a few Hamilton Juniors over the years.Recently I was paired against Luke Greenslade, who after 15 minutes had not appeared. So Mike threw on an ungraded player, Alex Keenan. At one stage I thought " this young lad has played magnificently considering that he was fifteen minutes down on the clock, I think he deserves a draw" Being a Dad and a Gentleman (allegedly) I offered him a draw. He much to my surprise refused and played for a win. The game finished drawn. They have been producing strong young players for years at Hamilton. Keep up the good work folks.
Apparently, I should have googled Hamilton Junior Chess Club. That certainly looks quite interesting.
robin moore Wrote:http://www.lottery.culture.gov.uk/GrantD...75&DBID=BL

Jonathan,

Above is a link to the Hamilton Chess Club award from the Government's Department for Culture, Media and Sport. Perhaps your club and others may wish to apply as £5,370 is a considerable sum of money for local juniors.

Hopefully, As Phil appears to have forgotten where the money was rerouted and spent, some other members from Hamilton may wish to enlighten me on what exactly the money was spent on to help young players.

Robin, why do you feel that anyone at Hamilton needs justify themselves to you regarding this money?
I imagine that whoever gave the money would have in place some sort of procedure to clarify that the money has been used for the purpose intended.If they are not causing a fuss I imagine that they are satisfied. Perhaps I have misread your posts but they come across as some sort of inquisitor at the Spanish Inquisition. Certainly if you were asking what Cumbernauld Chess Club did with the "equipment grant" that we received from North Lanarkshire Council. I would think what has it got to do with you??
I agree its nobody's business but Hamilton what they do/did with the money, I just
wish they would use some of it to enable their juniors to fulfil all their Glasgow
league away fixtures.
The previous two posters are totally correct that it is nothing to do with me what Hamilton Chess Club used their grant for. However, it appears the money was not used directly by Hamilton. As has been said on page one of this thread " the money was routed via Hamilton chess club". All I am simply asking, quite fairly I feel, is where it was rerouted to, who is now accountable for it and what was it used for.
P Griffin Wrote:I agree its nobody's business but Hamilton what they do/did with the money, I just
wish they would use some of it to enable their juniors to fulfil all their Glasgow
league away fixtures.

Like.
Regarding our "equipment grants" I believe that these were obtained by Ian Marks and/or Ronnie Wallace.
I have no idea how much was given by North Lanarkshire Council, if indeed it was N/L/C. One thing for sure we got some lovely new Wooden Chess Sets and excellent quality Chessboards and some digital clocks. Ian has been away at the world seniors for a couple of weeks. He may be able to offer some advice now.
George Thomson Wrote:Regarding our "equipment grants" I believe that these were obtained by Ian Marks and/or Ronnie Wallace.
I have no idea how much was given by North Lanarkshire Council, if indeed it was N/L/C. One thing for sure we got some lovely new Wooden Chess Sets and excellent quality Chessboards and some digital clocks. Ian has been away at the world seniors for a couple of weeks. He may be able to offer some advice now.
Cumbernauld CC applied to NLC a few years ago. Local authorities were keen to award grants, particularly if the application indicated that a strong educational aspect was involved (right up chess's street). If the applicant can elicit the support of a sympathetic local councillor, so much the better. Evidence had to be provided to the council that the money had been used for the purpose intended. No idea what the situation is now. Presumably cutbacks might have had an effect. Bottom line - if you don't ask, you won't get.