Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anand-Carlsen
Good game so far today. Bxa2, shades of Fisher - Spasskey
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Carlsen has let slip his advantage but is still trying to keep the game going with 43...Rdd3!?

These are the most dangerous times for Anand; Carlsen is happy to just play and play and play - will Anand's nerves hold out if this happens game after game?
Anand looked exhausted at today's post-match press conference. Also, there was a question about Anand's manager (?) asking that Kasparov NOT be seated in the front row of spectators! Anand himself looked surprised at this, but the question was deflected before any real answer was forthcoming.
Interestingly, I recollect a conversation with Rowson immediately after his game with Carlsen in Dresden 5 years ago. His feeling then was that Carlsen did not seek the 'best' move each time, but rather a 'good' move. This puts his opponents under real time pressure as the game goes on.
John Dempsey Wrote:Interestingly, I recollect a conversation with Rowson immediately after his game with Carlsen in Dresden 5 years ago. His feeling then was that Carlsen did not seek the 'best' move each time, but rather a 'good' move. This puts his opponents under real time pressure as the game goes on.

I recall Kasparov saying the same about Karpov... "He plays 40 'good' moves" or something similar.
Cracking game today! Looks like Carlsen was able to squeeze more effectively and for longer when he had the advantage than Anand managed previously.

I think the "good" vs "best" moves is probably situation dependent with Magnus. He can also be incredibly accurate. Kramnik described a sequence of only moves he found to hold the draw at one London Classic: "as good as the computers or better" (or something similar).
I think they’ll both be happy with their efforts today. I thought Anand’s 35 Ne4 was a brave idea, giving up a second pawn to activate his N, but also needing a couple of King moves first. If this had misfired he was staring at a crushing defeat. Anand’s opening prep seemed to go awry though, will he play something less committal like d3 next time or will he do a Capablanca and switch to opening d4
Really enjoyed the game and coverage today. Match is now well and truly on. I must confess pre-match I was a little surprised that Carlsen was such a strong favourite. The initial phase is over a relatively short period of games, Anand has the experience, home advantage (?), and will be highly motivated to retain his title in his own country. I still feel Carlsen is the favourite but it must be a closer call as every drawn game passes.
I suspect both players may have one or two prep "joker" cards up their sleeves that they will produce when they feel the timing is right. Hoping for some fireworks in the remaining games and will be surprised if they don't come sooner rather than later.
After 4 draws the bookies now give Anand at 2/1 = a 33% chance - up from 27% at the start. seems to be reasonable shift in relative chances.

I doubt that all 12 slow play games will be drawn.

Hence key questions as I see it are are will Anand get more tired than his younger opponent as the match progresses? or will Carlsen think he needs to win a game before the tie breaks start and blunder?
Phil,

Do you mean physically or mentally tired or a combination of both? Physically I understand (like Fischer) they both prize physical fitness and work out in the gym, play sports etc virtually every day.
Mentally, have they got the toughness of Botvinnik that will sit at the board for ever, only leaving to find his opponent to inform him that is his turn to move (the mark of a gentleman that respected at all times the game and his opponents). I am certain they both have although today there were tentative signs towards the end of the game that nerves were beginning to kick in.

I think both the contestants have great qualities in mental and physical strength. I feel this could go down to the wire.