Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson and Spens 2013-14
Ken_Stewart Wrote:Crawford Macnab wrote "Kilmarnock expected their board one to arrive. He did not so after an hour he lost by default."

Why one hour? The standard CS time is now 30 minutes which is supposed to apply to all chess in Scotland unless stated otherwise in the rules of the competition. FIDE Law 6.6a states that the default time is 0 minutes unless otherwise specified which is why CS has introdued the general 30 min rule to avoid this "zero tolerance" situation.

My guess as to 'why 1 hour?' is that this CS rule simply isn't well-known outside of CS arbiters. I haven't heard of it - perhaps it's worth including in the rules of the competitions as a reminder, unless of course the rules want to vary this as you mentioned.
Quote:perhaps it's worth including in the rules of the competitions
Already on my list of revisions for next year, along with a number of other points that have arisen recently.
andyburnett Wrote:
Ken_Stewart Wrote:Crawford Macnab wrote "Kilmarnock expected their board one to arrive. He did not so after an hour he lost by default."

Why one hour? The standard CS time is now 30 minutes which is supposed to apply to all chess in Scotland unless stated otherwise in the rules of the competition. FIDE Law 6.6a states that the default time is 0 minutes unless otherwise specified which is why CS has introdued the general 30 min rule to avoid this "zero tolerance" situation.

My guess as to 'why 1 hour?' is that this CS rule simply isn't well-known outside of CS arbiters. I haven't heard of it - perhaps it's worth including in the rules of the competitions as a reminder, unless of course the rules want to vary this as you mentioned.

Andy

The default time is actually 0. We refused to implement it and brought in a 30 min default in 2009
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
andyburnett Wrote:

The captains were indeed not clear on the rule and just after about 30 minutes agreed to settle on a generous round number of 1 hour.
Missing result details:

Oban 1 – 7 Wandering Dragons

J. Lennox (b) 0 – 1 N. Bathie (w)
D. Campbell 1 – 0 A. Minnican
A. Campbell 0 – 1 G. Hamilton
B. Harrold 0 – 1 D. Wallace
H. Flockhart 0 – 1 R. Kynoch
P. Doris 0 – 1 E. Sloan
D. Coope 0 – 1 D. Heron
G. White 0 – 1 E. Campbell