Poll: Would you be interested in playing in this chess festival?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I am over 1800 and would be very interested in playing in Group B
57.69%
15 57.69%
I am under 1800 and would be very interested in playing in Group C
19.23%
5 19.23%
No I am not interested (please comment why thanks Smile )
23.08%
6 23.08%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Winter Chess Festival
I've been waiting for something like this to happen for a while.... 6 or 7 times cheaper than having to leave the country to play. Interested.
Sorry should have said. I think it is a fantastic idea Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
StevieHilton Wrote:I was thinking of going to Hastings, but this sounds better Big Grin

Can this comment be cut and pasted and also put in the constitutional committe thread =o
One problem with all-play-alls in that you have to have a plan to deal with withdrawals. Therefore, in some ways swisses can be easier to organise.
I would be amazed if you found 20 players under 1800 prepared
to pay £85. Hotel accommodation at New Year is like likely to be
in short supply.
How much would titled players (roughly) have to pay for their accommodation ? Obviously for comparison with Hastings
Matthew Turner Wrote:
StevieHilton Wrote:I was thinking of going to Hastings, but this sounds better Big Grin

Can this comment be cut and pasted and also put in the constitutional committe thread =o

Matthew,
I do support Scottish tournaments Big Grin
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Andy B - Time controls will be restricted with it being FIDE rated but probably 40 moves for 2 hours plus half an hour finish. And no, the 'norm aspirants' have not been decided. Haven't got that far yet, but any interested in being a 'norm aspirant' or is an interested titled player please get in touch. There is also the issue of needing 3 different nationalities.

OK it appears from the early indications that the 'Group B' option is much more popular than 'Group C'. Therefore it probably makes sense to switch these around i.e. Group B will now be a 20 player swiss event at 10am - FIDE rated with a slight increase in prizefund.

'Group C' may need some alterations to increase interest - possibly a £55 entry fee with 1st - 250, 2nd - 100, GP - 75. Remember there would only be spaces for 10 players in this section now and it would be an all play all in the afternoon. Financially speaking, such an event would barely cover its own costs, so would not be pivotal if there was not interest in event, but it would be nice to see it running.
Unfortunately due to the lack of interest in 'Group C' this event could no longer help subsidise other costs and therefore a restructuring of the entry fees is required:
Norm Aspirants - £200
FMs - £50
This may seem expensive for the norm aspirants but my understanding is (now) that this is a normal rate for closed norm tournaments such as the slick events down South. And of course as others, like Mr Tate, have mentioned is much cheaper than going to play in a similar event abroad.
Great idea! Very tempting though I’m probably not able to commit the time (had to spray myself with anti-aspirant though) … well done David. Appreciate the approach too - I’m sure you’ll successfully juggle the details.
David, Have you decided if you want to go for an IM norm tournament or a GM norm one? Also, have you considered including some non-chess activities? Edinburgh is a pretty nice place at that time of year, perhaps any visitors might like to see some fireworks, endure Hearts-Hibs, or play a little poker... etc. etc.

Just a couple of thoughts I had.