Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what does Phil Thomas play as black
Well, you do, but we don't, yet.
don't worry i'll share tonight but I don't know how to post the game do I use the pgn button
Ian, see this
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14</a><!-- l -->

Now a man of your calibre will have this sorted in jig time now Big Grin
here goes Phil Thomas assures me it a Czech benoni or something. I'm raising funds for the Ian Brownlee to properly finish a game charity. All donations welcome
Brownlee,I (1698) - Thomas,P (1822) [A56]
Lanark Open, 09.09.2013 Round 5

[pgn]1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e5 4.Nc3 d6 5.e4 g6 6.f4 Bg4 7.Be2 Bxe2 8.Qxe2 Nbd7 9.Nf3 exf4 10.Bxf4 Nh5 11.Be3 Bg7 12.0-0 0-0 13.Qd2 Ne5 14.b3 Qd7 15.Bh6 Rae8 16.Bxg7 Nxg7 17.Qh6 f6 18.Nxe5 Rxe5 19.Rf3 f5 20.Raf1 Ree8 21.g4 fxe4 22.Rxf8+ Rxf8 23.Rxf8+ Kxf8 24.Qf4+ Qf7 25.Qxd6+ Kg8 26.Nxe4 h5 27.g5 Ne8 28.Nf6+ Kg7 29.Nxe8+ Qxe8 30.Qe6 Qxe6 31.dxe6 Kf8 32.Kf2 Ke7 33.Ke3 Kxe6 34.Ke4 a5 35.h4 ½-½[/pgn]

draw!
Quote:I'm raising funds for the Ian Brownlee to properly finish a game charity. All donations welcome

I'd like to donate the old "examine all checks and captures" theory instead of your 27th move
(the 27.Nf6+ Kh8 28.Qd8+ Black Resigns - line is interesting)
You had the correct idea though - and g5 must still be winning.

Quite a contrast in the position by playing 28.Nf6? a move later though...(instead 28.Qd8 should keep the whole point for White)
Looks like mutual time trouble for Phil to have played 24...Qf7 ?

Certainly looks pretty drawn in the end!

So now everyone knows what Phil plays as Black...
Interesting game. The Czech Benoni with ...g6 is my main points scorer.

Black should take on f4 immediately, and play the same plan as in the game (...Nh5, etc). The bishop can come to g4 later - white's light-squared bishop can be a problem piece so black shouldn't rush to exchange it off.
Strangely enough Ian told me afterwards that he had expected me to play the Dutch. Perhaps because somebody had sent him a very recent game of mine (Marymass 16th August).
Phil, Phil, Phil, get your facts straight I said I expected you to play the Dutch cos it was on one of the live boards on the sunday you seem to think people were sending me games about you (well actually they were), but you play such a wide repertoire that next time i'm drugging the coffee or the Jammy dodgers (or both) Glad to see the ECF hold you in high esteem and congrats on that score. On another serious note you know how much of an asset (yes there's an "et" at the end of that) you are up here and I hope you have a great season (until you play me again) Big Grin The game deserved to be drawn cos you made a blunder then I made a blunder so honours even
But Ian, perhaps you were subconciously influenced by receiving the earlier game.

To prevent the notice board having to hold an investigation into who sent you that game from Marymass.

I confess it was me ;P . Mitigating circumstances are that at the time it was my most recent outing against d4.
I'm boggled as to why you exchanged Queens in the way that you did Ian. I mean, if you are careful about it that past pawn is just totally winning. It would appear there were other ways of preventing perpetual and then exchanging Queens more wisely later. =| Might be missing something; in honour of my commitment to Geoff not to use my computer this season until I've thoroughly analysed games myself - I don't know for sure. ;P