Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM Candidates
Alex Gillies Wrote:In order to redress the balance I would suggest an email from one of the SCA board to all members covering the following

1 Letting them know about the AGM, agenda and candidates
2 Invite them to the AGM
3 Confirm that the can use proxy vote if they cannot attend - in particular to clarify that if they are to nominate someone for their proxy that the understand how it is going to be used ie do they want to give a specific instruction to vote for X or to nominate someone to vote how they see fit

I proposed a motion at an AGM a couple of years back that all members should be emailed to inform them of the AGM and with all the proposals and nominations for positions. I'm sure there is provision for it in the constitution:

Chess Scotland Constitution Wrote:13.4 The Executive Director shall give each member six weeks notice of the place, date and hour of the Annual General Meeting, but such meeting will not be invalidated should any member not receive advice of the meeting. It shall be deemed sufficient to publish these details on the Chess Scotland internet site and where possible to contact all members by e-mail.
&
13.7 The Executive Director shall publish all nominations for elections and proposals for consideration at least two weeks before the meeting. It shall be deemed sufficient to publish these details on the Chess Scotland internet site and where possible to contact all members by e-mail.

Alex Gillies Wrote:Anyway it's Friday - I'm off to open a beer!

I think this is an excellent idea but it'll be a cider for me! ;P
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
I have added my 'Manifesto' here: http://www.chessscotland.com/forum/viewt...?f=4&t=745

I didn't wish to hijack this topic.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
is it just me or does anyone find it disturbing that non members are seeking to influence the nominations, votes and election of the president of chess scotland?
Patrick McGovern Wrote:is it just me or does anyone find it disturbing that non members are seeking to influence the nominations, votes and election of the president of chess scotland?
No, what I find disturbing is that things within CS were allowed to deteriorate to the point that people who have contributed such a lot to chess in Scotland felt that becoming non members was the best course of action.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
5.2 Each Club and Affiliate member shall nominate a single proxy representative to the Executive Director at least one week before the General Meeting, which failing, their most recent nominee shall be deemed to hold their proxy vote.

5.3 Proxies are permitted if lodged in writing or by e-mail at least one week before a General Meeting, and, in the case of Individual members aged under 16, endorsed in writing or by e-mail by the member's parent or guardian.

In the interests of transparency & honesty, could one week prior to the AGM the following be put on this noticeboard:
1. The names of members carrying more than 3 proxy votes
2. The number of proxy votes they have.
I have had a number of E-mails asking for my proxy vote too. To be honest, I don't really know the candidates for President, so at present if I were to appoint a proxy I'd be doing so based on who had asked for the vote, rather than the merits of the actual candidate. I feel a bit uneasy about this.
I feel there are a number of strong candidates for the uncontested posts, so I did consider expressing my support for these candidates and abstaining in the only contest, but really this seems a bit farcical. I think it is very important that the Presidential candidates put forward their manifestos and I very pleased to see the statement for Steve Hilton. Personally, I don't find what Steve has had to say particularly inspiring, but the fact that he has put his case puts him ahead in my view. Hopefully, we will hear Hamish's vision for Scottish chess in the near future.
Yes some of the unopposed candidates are making encouraging noises. I think it's important that the proposals submitted for the AGM by last weekend are published as soon as possible (an announcement might help too) as well as any remaining overtures from candidates, even unopposed ones.
They are published today
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Am I being particularly thick because I can't see them anywhere on the main site or the forums.
Well today ends at midnight....
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"