Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS AGM proposals
News to me. I was a Glorney player for 4-5 years in the early 70s and never heard anything like that.
The definition of corrupt is "Having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain." It can be also used to mean incompetent, or not liked though.

The police are not part of taking legal action. When I was summoned to court no police were involved.

The 1970s chess officials were Bill Russell and Brian Eley.

From what I see it is in the Scottish culture, chess or otherwise, to cover up abuse and are quite happy for it to go on so long as it doesn't happen to them: "Let's move on. I am all right. I have a position of power."
Andy, the Scottish angle of your rant escapes me. More generally, in the high profile cases that have surfaced recently, the people covering up the abuse were not the little local people (many of whom did report it), but the big, professional institutions - the police, politicians and media.
amuir Wrote:The police are not part of taking legal action. When I was summoned to court no police were involved.

Police may not always be involved in legal action, but anything where the police get involved is legal action. Note that the police will only get involved if it's a criminal case. Civil cases, such as disputes between companies, don't involve the police. "Legal" action is a broad umbrella term for any action taken in response to action by a person which has been considered legally questionnable. Therefore, reporting something to the police is taking legal action.
Alex McFarlane Wrote:I would hope that the AGM will be a forum to move forward with chess in Scotland at all levels. It seems to me that your proposals are a step in the opposite direction.

^This is my view.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
1. The Standards Committee is the proper forum where a CS member has a
grievance against another in chess related matters. A CS member shall not
threaten or instigate civil legal proceedings against another CS member.

ok I add the word civil to motion 1.
Andy Muir, I have edited your post dated: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:15 am

For 2 reasons:

1) Let's not make comments that refer to particular cases. CS isn't big enough that there can be any doubt what some of your post were referring to.

2) Let's not suggest similarity between recently-reported historical child abuse as reported in the media and anything which has recently occurred in CS. The two are not remotely comparable, and a moderate implication to the contrary could be extremely damaging to CS and the individuals concerned.
Andy Muir

I have edited your post dated: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:48 am

See reasons above. I really think it's a bad idea to discuss individual cases on the forum. Although you haven't mentioned any names, it's still pretty clear what you're talking about. This isn't the place, please.
Quote:See reasons above. I really think it's a bad idea to discuss individual cases on the forum. Although you haven't mentioned any names, it's still pretty clear what you're talking about. This isn't the place, please.

Andy McHarg - you are covering up abuse - please resign - where is the place ?
As you guys know I played in England for many years before moving to Scotland. In all that time I came across three adult males in whose company I felt really uncomfortable.

The first of those was Brian Eley . My intuition as a teenager was later confirmed when he absconded after being charged with multiple offences - see Wikipedia article. Hence it is OK to name this individual. I was shocked to learn today that the BCF had once put him in charge of the Glorney team.

The second of those was confirmed a few days after I played him. Confirmed via an an adult male friend who (amongst others) was approached (while a junior) by that individual several years earlier at a local club. The club expelled him, I have no other data.

The third of those? I have now and had then no information other than gut instinct. Only Jacqui knows who it is. Not a chance of me revealing more data.

Three different cases, handled in three different ways.
One likes to think that all three all were handed correctly.

Difficult area isn't it?