Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth Championships
I've just read this opening line from a ChessBase website article today:

"This is the last time the Commonwealth Championship is held in an Open format..."

Is this true? What format of event are we hosting next year?

(It's possible I'm misinterpreting something of course!?)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4010443/south-africa-in-black-and-white-part-12-120713.aspx">http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211 ... 20713.aspx</a><!-- m -->
Bumped. Any comments?
I intend to run an Open. That was the proposal made.
Alex McFarlane Wrote:I intend to run an Open. That was the proposal made.

Thanks Alex. It seems like a strange comment to be made by the article's author though? As if she had spoken to someone on the 'Commonwealth chess committee' or some such thing?

What would the alternatives be anyway? A team champs? Invitational? 100 top-rated entrants only?
Just seen this thread. I also found the Chess Base article puzzling. But then, I thought, wasn't the 2013 event "completely" open, i.e. it included some players who were NOT members of Commonwealth countries!?

I believe Glasgow is to host an (open) event next year that is "solely" open (for the first time for a while!?) to players who are actually from Commonwealth countries. Perhaps Alex could confirm.
Craig Pritchett Wrote:Just seen this thread. I also found the Chess Base article puzzling. But then, I thought, wasn't the 2013 event "completely" open, i.e. it included some players who were NOT members of Commonwealth countries!?

I believe Glasgow is to host an (open) event next year that is "solely" open (for the first time for a while!?) to players who are actually from Commonwealth countries. Perhaps Alex could confirm.

That would make sense Craig. It hadn't occurred to me precisely because, as you say, it has been completely open for several years now. I imagine that limiting it to commonwealth countries might have an impact on its viability though?
I'm keeping my options 'open'.

It is unlikely I will be offering conditions to non-Commonwealth players and therefore it may well be that it turns out to be Commonwealth only. We are a couple of months away from making a final decision but I have been warning some 'regulars' at the Scottish of this possibility.
andyburnett Wrote:
Craig Pritchett Wrote:Just seen this thread. I also found the Chess Base article puzzling. But then, I thought, wasn't the 2013 event "completely" open, i.e. it included some players who were NOT members of Commonwealth countries!?

That would make sense Craig. It hadn't occurred to me precisely because, as you say, it has been completely open for several years now. I imagine that limiting it to commonwealth countries might have an impact on its viability though?

As far as I can make out, there were only 5 non-Commonwealth players this year in South Africa: 3 GMs, 1 IM and 1 WGM. Presumably they got free entry and so wouldn't affect the viability if missing next year.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Alan Jelfs Wrote:
andyburnett Wrote:

As far as I can make out, there were only 5 non-Commonwealth players this year in South Africa: 3 GMs, 1 IM and 1 WGM. Presumably they got free entry and so wouldn't affect the viability if missing next year.

Perhaps so, but players from mainland Europe (unable or unwilling to make the expensive trip to South Africa) might well have fancied a summer holiday in Scotland for a big event.
An ‘Open’ where players from some countries are excluded in some way sounds a bit Orwellian. Alex, I presume there is some kind of Commonwealth fund but is CS contributing its own funds? If so, I would have thought it a bit tricky to allocate those on the basis of which players’ countries are in the Commonwealth. I'm only guessing, but perhaps some clarification of the funding situation might be generally helpful!?

Also is there any plan to embed the Scottish Championships within?