Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PVG clearance
Hi,

Just a wee question, do you need PVG clearance if there is another adult in the room who has PVG?

If there are two or more adults present is PVG an issue? (does one of them at least have to have PVG.)

I think I got cleared when the Council employed me to teach chess a number of years ago.
I can remember filling out loads of forms and a personal interview.
Suprisingly I have no criminal record of any kind, although I seem to have spent my life trying to get one.

So do these things run out or do you have to keep topping them up after 5 years or something like that?

And finally what age is it deemed PVG is no longer required?
(I use to pop around to Keith Ruxton's house when he was nipper - am I still allowed to go and see him now he is in his 40's? )

I know I could look this up somewhere but it will be explained in gobbly-gook. (it always is.)
Here I can expect a layman's answer.
(if I'm really lucky I might even get an insult or two which seems to be the way the forum is going these days.)
Geoff Chandler Wrote:Hi,

Just a wee question, do you need PVG clearance if there is another adult in the room who has PVG?

If there are two or more adults present is PVG an issue? (does one of them at least have to have PVG.)

I think I got cleared when the Council employed me to teach chess a number of years ago.
Suprisingly I have no criminal record of any kind, although I seem to have spent my life trying to get one.

So do these things run out or do you have to keep topping them up after 5 years or something like that?

(I use to pop around to Keith Ruxton's house when he was nipper - am I still allowed to go and see him now he is in his 40's? )

I know I could look this up somewhere but it will be explained in gobbly-gook. (it always is.)
(if I'm really lucky I might even get an insult or two which seems to be the way the forum is going these days.)

Apparently rabbits don't need PVG clearance Tongue
I've been insulted....

Good idea to get that book of yours ready for Kindle.

It should of course be kindling and tossed it on the fire.

8)
Geoff Chandler Wrote:Hi,

Hi Geoff,

as far as I know the answers to your questions are.....

You (often) need clearance if working with children or vulnerable adults even if there are other PVG cleared adults in the room. However, if one on one situations are not going to happen then it becomes less important. Think of this extreme example, children attend cup finals at Hampden not all adults in the crowd are PVG disclosed.

More to point is that CS policy is (if I recall correctly) for all arbiters to be PVG disclosed. Because (I presume) it will always be the case that some of the players will be children.

Certificates don't seem to have an expiry date but clearly the more recent the better. The ECF require them to be less than 3 years old (their policy and I would say a wise one) and they don't worry about the difference between Scottish and English versions. They might worry post 2014 if Scotland votes for independence but I really doubt that independence would make much difference to ECF policy or CS policy.

What age - depends on whether you consider Keith to be a vulnerable adult or not. Personally I wouldn't.
Phil Thomas Wrote:What age - depends on whether you consider Keith to be a vulnerable adult or not. Personally I wouldn't.

I presume there are actually guidelines on what constitutes a vulnerable adult? I mean, with children it's easy because there is an age cut-off, but with adults it might come down to registered disability etc...
Cheers.

" with children it's easy because there is an age cut-off,"

Which is? (I'm just curious that's all.)

I think regarding me and Keith it's kind of the other way around......me being the vulnerable adult.

I don't have a certificate. I have (or had...cannot find it ATM) a letter saying something about clearance.
But that was years ago. (it came with plastic card and my picture on it.)

Sad times that such a need for these precautions to exist.
Andrew McHarg Wrote:
Phil Thomas Wrote:What age - depends on whether you consider Keith to be a vulnerable adult or not. Personally I wouldn't.

I presume there are actually guidelines on what constitutes a vulnerable adult? I mean, with children it's easy because there is an age cut-off, but with adults it might come down to registered disability etc...

Andrew,
I don't know the answer but I would expect there to be guidelines on who is considered to be a vulnerable adult. Actually I never known anyone raise the question before - including myself during arbiter training. Mea culpa.
Phil Thomas Wrote:
Ianbrownlee Wrote:maybe I should on 2nd thoughts rewrite my last post in that Phil's post was for all of us , not just to contribute to Andy's original post. May I suggest all posts and threads are restricted to announcements and positive contributions, at least until the AGM and not have to rely on the moderators to censure what is fast becoming nothing more than a farce

My original post was intended as an announcement. As such I thought that there was no need for or any purpose in debating that simple announcement.

Yesterday I sent data to the ECF to assist in their enquiry. Initial information fed back to me reveals that my name was removed from the list of ECF arbiters on Friday July 12th 2013. I also have a good idea of what information receieved by the ECF and the source of that information.

As happens frequently I know more than I post.

The following statement was received yesterday from a prominent member of the ECF board...............................................................................................
.....................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................
........................................................................................................

The ECF Board approved the application of Phil Thomas as an ECF Arbiter last night.

I offer you the following words that you may publish on the CS Noticeboard.

----

Dr Philip Thomas has now been appointed as an ECF Arbiter.

Owing to administrative errors within the ECF, Dr Thomas's name was previously included in the list of ECF Arbiters prematurely and subsequently removed therefrom. Dr Thomas was not in any way at fault and the ECF would like to apologise to him for any embarrassment caused.
I received this this morning to publish. Had a problem with email last night or would have put it on the noticeboard
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"