Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inverness Chess Congress
Event Open 2013
Round 5
Bd White result Black
1 Sreeves Clement (3.5) 1/2-1/2 Berry FM Neil (3.5)
2 Olson Hamish (2.5) 1/2-1/2 Green Andrew (3.5)
3 Bamber WFM Elaine (2.5) 1-0 Abdulla Murad (2.5)
4 Deary Daniel (2.5) 1/2-1/2 Grove Michael (2.5)
5 Ridge Michael (2.5) 1-0 Pannwitz Kai (2.5)
6 Campbell Duncan (2) 0-1 Thomson Neil (2)
7 Durno WFM Joy (1.5) 1-0 Waterfield John (1.5)
8 Hargrave Ian (1.5) 1/2-1/2 Gillepsie David (1.5)
9 James Chris (1.5) 1/2-1/2 Hall David (1.5)
10 Dawson Alastair (1) 1/2-1/1 Doyle James (1)
11 Birkett Richard (0) 1 point bye
12 Newton Andrew 1/2 Bye

Event Major 2013
Round 5
Bd White result Black
1 O'Gorman Brendan (3) 1/2-1/2 Thomas Phil (2.5)
2 Glen Hamish (2.5) 1-0 Shafi Paul (2)
3 Aitchison Keith (2) 1-0 Cumming David (2.5)
4 Moore Robin (2) 1-0 Shafi Declan (2)
5 Wynne Stuart (1.5) 0-1 McRobert George (1.5)
6 Barron-Majerik Jan (1) 1/2-1/2 Papier Alan (1)

Event Minor 2013
Round 5
Bd White result Black
1 McDade James (3.5) 0-1 Hope Iain (4)
2 Dallas Alastair (3) 0-1 Sharma Arun (3)
3 Smith Callum (3) 1-0 McCulloch Andy (2.5)
4 Mackay Hunter (2) 0-1 Coope Derek (2)
5 Birkett Sarah (2) 0-1 Boyle Daniel (2)
6 Birkett Callum (2) 1-0 Dawson Euan (2)
7 Harvey Douglas (1) 1-0 White Geoffrey (1)
8 Watson Dave (1) 1-0 Pirrie Luainn (1)
9 Newton David (0) 1 point bye
10 Simpson Gordon Withdrawn
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
1st Inverness Chess Congress 2013

Sponsored by Sylvestrus Ltd and Auchmore Renewables

Prizewinners

Open

1st= Neil Berry, Andrew Green, Clement Sreeves – All Edinburgh - 4/5 - £100 each

Grading Prize 1 – Mike Ridge – Edinburgh – 3.5/5 - £25

Grading Prize 2 – Daniel Deary – Greenwood – 3/5 - £25

Major

1st – Brendan O’Gorman – DHSS – 4/5 - £150

2nd – Hamish Glen – Bellshill – 3.5/5 - £100

3rd= Keith Aitchison (Edinburgh), Robin Moore (Greenwood), Phil Thomas (Hamilton) – 3/5 - £17 each

Grading Prize – David Cumming & George McRobert – Both Inverness – 2.5/5 - £12.50 each

Minor

1st – Iain Hope – Musselburgh – 5/5- £150

2nd= Arun Sharma (Inverness) & Callum Smith (North Juniors) – 4/5 - £75

Grading Prize 1 – Callum Birkett (Inverness) & Daniel Boyle (Bishopbriggs) – 3/5 - £12.50 each

Grading Prize 2 – Sarah Birkett (Inverness) & Hunter Mackay (Inverness) – 2/5 - £12.50 each

Junior Cup (Cross-sectional)

1st Callum Smith – North Juniors - £40

2nd Sarah Birkett – Inverness - £30

3rd Kai Pannwitz – Inverness - £20
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
continuing difficulty for the top rated players in winning their respective sections eh? Big Grin Mibbe people in glass houses will stop throwing stones ;P
Thanks

The 1st Inverness Chess Congress was only possible due to the enormous help of a large group of people working together. I would like to thank -

Sylvestrus Limited and Auchmore renewables for their generous sponsorship.

Dietrich Pannwitz and Steven McKenzie of the two companies for presenting the prizes.

MSP Fergus Ewing for coming along on the Saturday to welcome the players.

The Chieftain Hotel, Liz and her staff for doing everything they could to make the tournament enjoyable and easy to run.

The organising committee at Inverness - Lisa MacLennan, Dietrich Pannwitz, Robert Rough, David Newton and the rest of Inverness Chess Club.

The arbiters - Andy Howie & David Deary

All of the players.

We'll be back in Inverness on the 6th of June next year to do it all again for the Highlands and Islands Congress.
Patrick McGovern Wrote:continuing difficulty for the top rated players in winning their respective sections eh? Big Grin Mibbe people in glass houses will stop throwing stones ;P

Stones and sport.

Curling is already in the winter olympics.

Wrestling as a sport got back into the Olympics today.
It was thrown out in February and then won the competition for a new sport for introduction into the Olympics.
What CS does today the IOC does tomorrow.

As the good book says.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Many thanks to the arbiters, organising commitee, the hotel staff, sponsors and above all David for a thoroughly enjoyable event. The superb wooden boards and sets were as good as I have played on anywhere. Everyone really enjoyed it and look forward to the next congress in June at this lovely venue.
I totally agree with the comments made above by David and Robin.
And this was the first tournament !!!!.

Just want to add that the hotel does the best chips of all the venues on the circuit.

Capacity limit could be reached in June.
Reserve a place for me. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Patrick McGovern Wrote:continuing difficulty for the top rated players in winning their respective sections eh? Big Grin Mibbe people in glass houses will stop throwing stones ;P

Really Pat? We have a brand new tournament ran expertly by David and this is the best you can come up with??

For the record. Open, top 3 seeds were joint 1st. Major, Joint top seeds were 1st and 3rd. Minor 2nd seed won it and top seed with 5th.

Normal stuff for a tournament
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy i was not being critical of the tournament in any way Big Grin a mutual friend had a pop at me for being top seed and getting duffed up in a tournament; i just had a pop back. it was nice to see that he took it in the friendly bantering way it was intended Big Grin If I had not been ill i surely would have attended and enjoyed the first class tournament that others have enjoyed.
Andy i was not being critical of the tournament in any way Big Grin a mutual friend had a pop at me for being top seed and getting duffed up in a tournament; i just had a pop back. it was nice to see that he took it in the friendly bantering way it was intended Big Grin If I had not been ill i surely would have attended and enjoyed the first class tournament that others have enjoyed.