Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accessing notice board
Should it be only members of chess scotland that be allowed to access noticeboard? debate/discuss.
Personally I think it should be open to anyone, but I wouldn't resist changing that if the majority wanted it.

My main lines of thought are that forum access isn't really a conventional member benefit. Perhaps an area of the forum would be a good compromise, but not in or out. It surely makes more sense to have as many contributions on here as possible, which might go some way to informing us of why certain people don't have a membership.
Absolutely not. There are a lot of juniors and their parents, for example, who end up getting a lot of information about chess from this forum and not having access to information may end up preventing people from entering events. We want to encourage people as much as possible.

I know that when I started getting involved in the chess world a few years ago, the forum was a great source of information and it encouraged me to get more involved.

I would say that there may be an argument that specific Chess Scotland issues should be discussed by CS members only and perhaps there may be a Members Only section in the forum, which is what I think Andrew is saying. I would guess that this may be possible given the software and specific access rights? However, I don't see the need for it at this point as I'm not sure what there is to hide and non-members could find out what was written easily enough.
Derek,

Yes that can be done. It was how the previous board was set up originally until complaints from the members having to log on...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:Derek,

Yes that can be done. It was how the previous board was set up originally until complaints from the members having to log on...

I managed to create a members only section in our forum a few months back, we're using phpBB version 3.0.11. Not had a single post to that area yet though. As I recall it wasn't as straight forward to get the permissions set correctly as I thought it should have been.
ronniewallace Wrote:
Andy Howie Wrote:Derek,

I managed to create a members only section in our forum a few months back, we're using phpBB version 3.0.11. Not had a single post to that area yet though. As I recall it wasn't as straight forward to get the permissions set correctly as I thought it should have been.

Not a single post yet Ronnie??
Only because no one has given me any reason to rant and rave for a while :\ :\
where is this members only section?
Well, if you look at who is posting, you might, repeat might, come to the conclusion that it is on the Cumbernauld website,
Andy McCulloch Wrote:Well, if you look at who is posting, you might, repeat might, come to the conclusion that it is on the Cumbernauld website,
Yes, my post was referring to the Cumbernauld notice board which uses the same software as the CS site.
Why would we want a members only section, what have we to hide??? What is sitting there in the deepest darkest recesses of the non member mind that we are so scared of?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"