Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestwick Congress 2013 is moving to Ayr
For a number of reasons the venue for the 2013 Prestwick Congress has been changed from the airport venue used for the last two years to the Mercure Hotel, which is in Ayr not Prestwick. The congress will now be called the 2013 Ayr Congress.

Entry forms will be published soon and the website has started to take shape for this years event. New information will be uploaded on an ongoing basis, over the next few days, weeks and months.

I know the airport was a popular venue but I believe that the Windows on the Ocean room and the Mercure Hotel in the centre of Ayr town are even better than the Aviator Suite at the airport.

Among the benefits of moving to the venue are –

A location in the centre of town, giving more dining options for participants and accompanying people, as well as an alternative for those whose games finish that bit earlier.

Fully accessible for all – I know there was a concern about this at the airport, as the stairlift into the Aviator suite had been removed last year.

Well maintained air-conditioned playing room, with plenty of natural light.

Private Hotel Car Park – the hotel car park has room for around 60 cars and use is free to those using the hotel. There is also free street parking just a short 5 minute walk away throughout the weekend. There are parking restrictions in the streets around the hotel on week days until 6pm and from 8am to 1pm on a Saturday but outside those times it is free. More information will be available soon on the congress website.

Special priced rooms within the venue hotel itself. Further details on these will be published soon on the congress website and I am also hoping to agree special priced lunch and dinner options for participants.

While the Mercure Hotel is our preferred partner and we would encourage players to make use of its fabulous guest facilities, there is also a wider variety of accommodation very close by and certainly within walking distance of the venue.

The hotel has its own swimming pool and leisure facilities which are free to guests staying in the hotel.

The playing room is more open plan than the Aviator suite and the hotel has tables, which, as I’m short of helpers this year, selfishly saves me time and a lot of physical effort getting tables in and out.

The hotel is very keen to welcome chess to the venue and I am already looking at a further tournament at the hotel in early 2014, to add to the calendar.

Further details on the new venue can be found at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-8344-mercure-ayr-hotel/index.shtml">http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-8344-me ... ndex.shtml</a><!-- m -->

If you have any thoughts, questions etc I’d love to hear them too.

Kind Regards

David Congalton
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
Folks,

I tried hard with this hotel to bring the Glorney here this year. Sadly, they couldn't negotiate on the room prices as it would be in July and they are always nearly fully booked at that time.
David and I were really impressed with the potential of this venue.

1/ It has terrific natural light.
2/ It is a very short stroll to a really lovely seafront.
3/ There are excellent transport links (free car parking for hotel guests, bus station 100 yds away, train station roughly 10-15 minutes walk.
4/ The hotel is very close to the town centre with many nice bars and restaurants.
5/ There are plentiful b and b options within walking distance but obviously it would be helpful for future congresses if you stayed at the venue.

We have lost too many congresses recently. This is on the late May Bank holiday weekend to help students miss exam times/ travellers to have the Monday off/ parents to not worry about getting their children back for school on the Monday morning.

We need your support at this exciting new venue. We are planning another event here at a different time of the year if this is successful. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Robin.
Just so that i've got it right... when you say "another event" and "further event", are you intending holding 2 events per year?
Graham,

Yes, we are looking at holding two events at this venue per year. Obviously, we are hoping that the event on the late bank holiday date in May will be well supported. We have every confidence in what we believe will be a terrific seaside venue.

Robin.
A bit of a trek for me, i'll need to see how the money situation is.
One thing i find amazing... you posted your message TOMORROW!!!
Graham,

The CS time posting time always seems to be one hour ahead. Am I correct in saying you come from the Lothians region?
If you wish to drive it's motorway virtually all the way plus there is free parking for hotel guests.
If you wish to take the bus, just change at Glasgow Buchanan Street and the bus to Ayr drops you off at the main bus station about 100 yards from the venue.
If you wish to take the train, book early on ahem the trainline dot com and change/transfer to Glasgow Central where it takes roughly fifty minutes to Ayr station, about 10-15 minutes walk away from the very easy to find venue.

There are loads of b and b options nearby but the hotel venue prices are very reasonable for the standard of accommodation offered.
yeah Robin, Livingston.
Public transport really isn't an option for me, and 1¼ driving immediately before playing a game is not exactly ideal either, but with the cost of fuel, an overnight stay is becoming the more economic option.
I'm considering it...
Graham,

When this event was at Prestwick, we found a lot of players from a bit farther afield took a half point bye on the Friday night, travelled through fresh and early on Saturday morning, stayed the Saturday night and travelled home after the prizegiving on the Sunday evening.
A fairly economic way to enjoy a really good congress.
Looks good guys. Keep up your excellent work supporting chess in Scotland and CS Congresses Smile
Thanks for the kind words, David and good luck with the Elite event at the end of March (details in the tournament and events section of the forum).

With regard to the Ayr Congress -

Stay at the Mercure Ayr Hotel in the heart of Scotland's Burns Country, with sweeping views of the Isle of Arran.
The venue hotel is the congress's preferred accommodation partner. Please consider staying at the venue hotel, if possible. Special rates have been made available for particpants in the tournament.

The Mercure Ayr are currently holding 20 rooms each night, any rooms not booked before the 24.03.13 will be released. If any further rooms are required after this date this will be subject to availability.

Double or twin room at £74.00 per room per night (including breakfast)

Single room at £52.50 per room per room per night (including breakfast)

Triple rooms at £111.00 per room per night for 3 adults sharing (including breakfast)

Triple room for 2 x adults and 1 x Child will be at £74.00 per room (including adult breakfast and the child charged for any meals taken in addition to this rate)

Triple room for 1 x adults and 2 x Children will be at £74.00 per room (including adult breakfast and the child charged for any meals taken in addition to this rate)

All players can book direct with the booking office on 0844 815 9005 opt 1 quoting booking ref 4319318. This is the only method in which the hotel can guarantee the agreed rate will be offered. At this stage they are not able to set up an online booking option.

I have asked the Mercure to see what sort of special lunch and dinner options they can offer both residential and non-residential paricipants.

With regard to car parking - Private Hotel Car Park – the hotel car park has room for around 60 cars. Guests staying at the hotel will be charged £2 per night. Day guests arriving for the tournament only will not be charged.

There is also free street parking just a short 5 minute walk away throughout the weekend. There are parking restrictions in the streets around the hotel on week days until 6pm and from 8am to 1pm on a Saturday but outside those times it is free. More information will be available soon on the congress website.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->